Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My apartment rent lease end July 27 2010 in NJ, I dont want…

Customer Question
My apartment rent lease end...
My apartment rent lease end July 27 2010 in NJ, I don't want to renew and gave notice as such, however I want to move out on October 27. My landlord is asking to pay him the month of August, September and October in advance.................I never being late in 3 years. Never............

The landlord don't provide month to month lease,,,,,,can he evict me if i don't pay him 3 month in advance? and continue to pay my monthly rent?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/15/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
He can evict you once your lease agreement ends as the contract period has expired. He does not have to accept you as a month to month tenant. He can't evict you for not paying the three months in advance as that is not part of your current lease terms. You can continue to pay until July and then you will have to vacate since the lease would have expired. If you don't leave following the expiration he can evict you as the landlord-tenant relationship has ended.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Ok, how long is the eviction process in the state of NJ
Depends how quickly the owner processes the paperwork at court and the court's next available court date. For a lease violation (if you holdover after July, 2010) the landlord has to give you three days notice to vacate. If you refuse, the landlord will need to file a lawsuit which can take place anywhere from 14 to 21 days, then after the hearing if you are still there the sheriff's can come in after three days, so about a total of 30 days. You can be liable for the court fee and costs in having to file the eviction and it can be reported to your credit report.