Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Eli, I sent the letter as you suggested. They say they are…

Customer Question
Eli, I sent the letter...
Eli, I sent the letter as you suggested. They say they are not in the same category as time shares and since I signed their contract they refuse to give me my money back and I should agree to use their services. They say they are indeed legal in Texas. Should I fight this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/13/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hi there again,Okay, is it a vacation thing where you can "choose vacations at discounts" on their website? Or time share? What exactly did you purchase?
IT IS A VACATION THING. It is not a time share. They say they are not covered by time share. If you want to visit their web site it is http://www.vacationnetworkinc.com/

I have learned that others have been dissatisfied with them. One internet report from Arizona:

_____________________

"After numerous attempts to plan a vacation, there was nothing ever available. I explained that I was a teacher and could only travel at peak times. Nothing to worry about they said. Right!

"I spent over $3,ooo for nothing! My last three vacations were planned and paid by me. What about Vacation Network? They had nothing for us.

"So, I asked for a refund. They said NO! I threw out 3 grand...and now they want their yearly fee? I don't think so. And they threatened to send us to collection if I don't pay it. Is that fair? They haven't booked anything for us and now they want more money?

"It's a scam, and the Arizona Attorney Generals Office is working on it!"

___________

Their guy on the phone this morning said if I stop payments there will be penalties and that if we try to take them to court we will lose and have to pay their costs, because they are perfectly legal because I signed their contract.
Is this in Houston?
Yes. Their office is on Route 6 but it is a "shell" they only seem to be in it when they set up their pitches. Another internet comment about this office: "they had an F rating with the BBB ( at several locations that have been open long enough to have a rating). I also saw several issues and complaints through pissedconsumer and ripoffreport."