Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a foreclosure house in 2007. I have not received anything…

Customer Question
I have a foreclosure house...
I have a foreclosure house in 2007. I have not received anything from the bank to ask me for the balance nor the 1099. How long after foreclosure will the lender lose their right to go after
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/12/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

The lender must sue you within three months from the date of successful foreclosure sale. Code Civ. Pro. 580a.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Hello Sir

This is in California. After the foreclosure, the 1st lender can not sue me. But for the 2nd lender they can sue me. And if after 3 months I have not received any letter from them, will i be free of the 2nd lender?

You have two open questions. I've already answered this one, so, if you would like me to consider your new question, please click Accept.

Thanks.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Hello Sir

This is in California. After the foreclosure, the 1st lender can not sue me. But for the 2nd lender (I REFINANCED ONCE) they can sue me. And if after 3 months I have not received any letter from them, will i be free of the 2nd lender?
Answered in your other question.
I am sorry for the confused questions becuase I have more than 2 properties. So this is the question:

for the 2nd lender (I REFINANCED ONCE) I know they can sue me. And if after 3 months I have not received any letter from them, will i be free of the 2nd lender? Is there any time limit like after certain amount of time they lose their power to sue
Four years from the date when the last payment became due and payable. Code Civ. Pro. §337.

Edited by socrateaser on 6/12/2010 at 8:22 AM EST