Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I contacted Dell Corp. for technical service on my PC. The…

Customer Question
I contacted Dell Corp. for...
I contacted Dell Corp. for technical service on my PC. The technician did a screen sharing session and corrected the issue. He called several times afterwards to verify if all issues were resolved & explained he was having financial problems & asked to borrow $500.00. He reassured me he would continue to check-up & fix any problems I might have with my computer. As a senior citizen, not being computer knowledgeable, I agreed to lend him the monies. I have a transaction receipt confirming the monies were signed for & picked up by him in the Philippine's. I've been unable to contact him & sent a correspondence to Dell Corp. seeking help & restitution. They acknowledged his employment, however, they failed to make good on the monies I lent him.
What recourse do I have? Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/11/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
First, it is likely against Dell's policy for its employees to solicit customers for money and the fact the employee did this on Dell's time while assisting you with a computer problem for Dell would in all likelihood give rise to liability on behalf of Dell under the theory of "respondeat superior." However the problem is that the person asked you for a loan, so this would arguably be a personal agreement between you and the person and outside of the scope of his work at Dell and this will be Dell's argument. I am afraid to tell you that really your only recourse here would be a complaint in writing to Dell and file a complaint with your state attorney general's office consumer protection unit and the Better Business Bureau for taking financial advantage of a senior citizens, but other than that I am afraid if they cannot help there is not going to be any recourse you have.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

The fact that the technician called several times, obtaining my phone number from my Dell transcripit record, have any effect on the situation?
Yes, it could have an effect on the situation, especially since Dell would not want this to become public and if you sue it would become public, but legally the fact the employee asked for a loan and did not seek to charge you falsely for a service would hurt your case. It is not as open and shut against the employer as one would like it to be.