Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have signed up as a associate with Global verge , a cell…

Customer Question
I have signed up as...
I have signed up as a associate with Global verge , a cell phone company. I bought a phone from the company as an associate for $388.00. There are no contracts are credit check. After i activate the service the company place on their website that if the phone becomes inactive for 30 days the service is suspended, and if the service remain inactive for 90 days or more the phone will not be able to be activated again and the company will buy it back for $50.00 credit. Can the company do this? legally that is, since i bought the phone outright from them.
I have a t-mobile phone inactive for more than 2 years and was recently turned on and it works with no problem.
Please let me know the answer. because i may sue the company.
Thank You
Michael Prendergast
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/10/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: FLACORPLAWYER, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
FLACORPLAWYER
Michael, if the terms and conditions are clearly stated on the website and if you bought the phone over the website, then they can in fact do this. It's not a matter of Federal law or telecommunications law, its a simple contract matter. At some point somewhere you agreed to the terms and conditions of the website, the company, or the sale. Why can they do this? because they can allege they gave you a price break on the phone in exchange for a promise from you that you would keep the service active and give them business every month.
The chande placed on the website were not there when I purchased the phone. It was added later and i did not sign a contract since there are no contract nor credit check and the price of the phone is the same as the price from Sprint, minus $25.00. I bought the phone not from the website but at one of their conferences.
Michael Prendergast
They can not impose new terms and conditions upon the sale and usage of the phone after you have bought it. You have the right to file a consumer complaint with the Florida Attorney General on his website.