Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a pre-owned, non-certified 2005 VW Jetta in Sept.

Customer Question
2007 from a local VW...
I bought a pre-owned, non-certified 2005 VW Jetta in Sept. 2007 from a local VW dealership. It had 54,600 miles on it. It now has 119,000 miles on it and has since cost me $9,800 in repairs, car rental fees along with maintenance. There is no end in sight with these expensive repairs. I have been stranded time and again on the side of freeways and have actually become afraid to drive it. I was in the shop twice within a five day period just last week. I realize I have waited way too long to speak up but I kept telling myself, "That should be the last repair for a long time now. It should get better from here on." Enough is enough. Do I have any recourse? Does this car fall under the definition of "lemon" under the confines of our state law? Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/9/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Jack R., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer

You do not have a claim under the lemon laws. In California the lemon law is under the The Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act (beginning with Civil Code section 1790). This act provides protection for consumers who lease or buy new motor vehicles. Here you purchased a used vehicle so the act would not apply.

If you found this answer helpful please press the ACCEPT button.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.