Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was renting a room in a private home. I agreed to a 6 month…

Customer Question
I was renting a room...
I was renting a room in a private home. I agreed to a 6 month lease and had advised the landlord that I would be leaving when the lease was up. The home was in foreclosure (had been before I even moved in, although they did not tell me) About 2 weeks prior to May 1st, late at night my roommate came home intoxicated and verbally abused, terrorized and basically held me hostage in my room for hours. He screamed several time for me to get the F out of his house. I eventually called the police and moved out that day with a police escort. He had also done a lot of damage to his home. I had given him a $500 security deposit and also cleaned the carpets and painted the room prior to moving in. He is refusing to refund my security deposit saying I did not give him the proper 30 day notice. ????? I know he is broke. But, how can I go about collecting my deposit?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/8/2010
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

In California, the landlord loses the right to keep any of the security deposit and must return the entire deposit if the landlord doesn’t provide a full refund, or a statement of deductions and a refund of amounts not deducted, by the end of the 21-day period. Therefore you can file suit against the landlord for recovery of your security deposit, court costs and fees