How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  Over 15 years experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Response to request for production of documents

Customer Question

Response to request for production of documents
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.



What is your question? Can you give me more information please?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am avoiding taking time off of work. In the state of California, do I have to file a response to request for production of documents, request for admission and interrogatories with my local court? If I wanted have the produce documents, would I have to file that with the court as well?
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.



I don't quite understand. You are involved in a lawsuit?


The other party sent you a Request for Production of Documents, Request for Admission, and Interrogatories?


If so, do you have the documents and responses ready?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, sorry, I am involved in a limited civil case. I'm being sued by some junk debt buyers for a line of credit I took out with my former bank. I just received their requests for production of documents, admissions and interrogatories. I am going to work on my responses tonight.
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.

The documents that have been requested, as well as the answers to the Interrogatories, and admissions, are to be sent to the other party/other party's attorney. Rarely does a jurisdiction want you to file these things at the courthouse.

Just to be on the safe side, you should call the Clerk of the local court and ask if you are to file a copy with the court. I really doubt that they will require that.

I suggest however, that you file a "Notice of Answering Interrogatories, etc." with the court. Not the answers and all, just a notice to the court that you have answered. This way, if the other side said you never responded, you can show the Notice you sent to the court.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Darn. I apologize, I was hoping to avoid calling the courthouse. With the budget cutbacks, they don't have a lot of personnel answering phones so their hold times are nearly an hour. They are also unfortunately only open 8 am - 3 pm M-F and I work 8 am to 430 pm M-F on the phones and my work monitors personal phonecalls.
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.
Okay then. If you can't find a friend to call just to inquire about sending over such responses, just send the Notice of Answering, etc. that I mentioned above. Send the original answers, signed and all, to the other attorney or party. Make sure you send everything you were asked for, as best you can. That should suffice.