How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea Ray Your Own Question
Andrea Ray
Andrea Ray, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 82
Experience:  Over 5 years experience in consumer protection law and creditors' rights
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Andrea Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My earnings has been garnished and I am under the Poverty Guidelines

Resolved Question:

My earnings has been garnished and I am under the Poverty Guidelines for Earnings, Can I stop the garnishment?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Andrea Ray replied 8 years ago.
Looks to me like there is something you can do. Here is a form that you fill out showing that your earnings are exempt:

This is the site where I got this form for your state, and has some other helpful forms and info:

Keep in mind that this does not make the judgment go away. It simply keeps your wages from being garnished. Interest will continue to accrue, and if there is a time when your wages do exceed poverty level, they can resume garnishment.
Andrea Ray and 5 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you