Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

With Generator Source in Brighton, Colorado. I was assigned…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** Generator Source in Brighton, Colorado. I was assigned a komatsu model 06110TA. It had a blown water pump and the oil emulsified. Changed out water pump, installed new thermostats, sent radiator out for cleaning and repair, new belts, changed oil and filter, changed fuel filter, fresh fuel, fresh antifreeze. I can get to hold a 80% load of 200kw without it overheating. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Serial number 20377

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

It currently has 1124 hours of run time

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/15/2022
Mechanic: Gary S,
 replied 1 month ago
Gary S

Sorry to hear you are having issues with this. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Thank you

It sounds like you have covered a lot of diagnosis all ready! Can you tell me what the temperature of the upper and lower radiator are when it overheats? Do we have any bubbles in the cooling system when it overheats? Have you tested the cooling system for the presence of combustion gasses? Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
215 at thermostat housing, water pump house gets to 204, upper radiator is 208 lower radiator is 203, it can hold 205 temp at 185kw, can't reach 200kw which is 80% of the 250kw capabilities of its ratingI shut drop load and let it run and it drops back down to 180-185 I about a minute or so after I take the load bank offHere is everything I have done
Mechanic: Gary S,
 replied 1 month ago

Did this unit ever have a thermal event that caused it to shut down? Do we have any bubbles in the cooling system when it overheats? Have you tested the cooling system for the presence of combustion gasses? Is the radiator cap pressure test good? Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
New water pump, new thermostats and thermostat house cleaning, installed over flow res. New belts, fresh coolant, fresh l/o oil and filter New fuel filter , fresh fuelI work for generator source. We received the unit with a blown water pump and emulsified oil. Pulled pan and fleshed all residue out. Didn't open the oil heat exchanger as of yetNew radiator cap as well 10lbsNo bubbles in coolant
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Conduct pressure test upon installing refurbished radiator. Held 10lbs for 20 minutes
Mechanic: Gary S,
 replied 1 month ago

Does the oil still look contaminated? Is the cooling fan installed correctly? (I have does this one myself years ago). So at 204 it thinks it is overheating?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No and yes, it's a counter clockwise rotate. Yes at 204 she just keeps climbing. Just had my boss order oil cooler gaskets and I am going to pull that and inspect for blockage.
Mechanic: Gary S,
 replied 1 month ago

Sounds great! It about all that is left to fix this. Thank you!

Mechanic: Gary S,
 replied 1 month ago

Thank you for using just answer! It was a pleasure to assist you today. Have a great day!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do!You too
Mechanic: Gary S,
 replied 1 month ago

Thank again!!