Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Kubota KCM 161-3 that was working fine when stopped…

Customer Question
I have a Kubota...

I have a Kubota KCM 161-3 that was working fine when stopped traveling. All other functions on the machine work fine. Just the machine will not travel.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make, model, and year of your car?

Kubota KX 161-3 serial number 20957

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your car?

4048 hrs

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
7/20/2022
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** to hear you are having these troubles with this equipment. If all other functions on the machine work normally with exception to travel, it is normally related to a rotary manifold problem unless of course there is a problem with your drive motors themselves. Thoroughly inspect the travel circuit spools at the control valve for any trash or debris within the valve or other problems that would cause them to malfunction. Inspect the hydraulic filter for what looks like fine glitter or metal indicating a component failure existing on this machine that would flag more of a drive motor or pump related issue occurring. Resealing the rotary manifold is actually part of troubleshooting travel problems on excavators. When the seals bypass internally it causes a loss of flow to the drive motors. Check for any excessive case drain return pressure and flow from your drive motors if you were to run a hose from the case drain port into an empty 5 gallon bucket while slowly engaging travel with the drive motor deadheaded on either track. Pin the track and sprocket between the track chain and sprocket so you can deadhead the drive motor one track at a time. If oil flows out under high volume or pressure it's an indication that that drive motor has excessive internal leakage and is in need of rebuild or replacement. I hope you find this information helpful.