Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

It won’t start. Injector lines at injectors just drip a bit…

Customer Question
It won’t start. Injector...

It won’t start. Injector lines at injectors just drip a bit of fuel. New lift pump and new fuel filter. Runs on gas fumes but won’t pick up the diesel fuel and run itself

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes trying to fix myself. Have check the fuel solenoid and it clicks when powered

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Backhoe ran prior to changing a starter. I removed fuel sediment bowl to give more room and fuel dripped while I replaced starter I replaced everything but it will not fire. I’ve tried gas fumes in the breather and it will run for a bit. I’ve cracked the fuel lines at injectores to bleed and fuel drips out .

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2022
Mechanic: PAPA Chris, Technician replied 3 months ago
PAPA Chris
PAPA Chris, Technician
Good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I am sorry to hear about the issue with your backhoe. Can you please tell me what is the make and model of your backhoe so we can better assist you?

Hello it is a jcb 214s 2003 backhoe

Fantastic, I am  send you a guide to your fuel system that may help you re/prime your fuel system, this information is not from JCB but from Perkins/Caterpillar that uses the same basic engine. I don't have access to the the specific model of machine you have but this may do the job quite well..

Please let me know if this helps you with this issue, or if you need more information.

I have fuel dripping out of the injector lines at the injectors but it's just a slow drip drip . Not a spray or any pressure
Are you getting a good supply of fuel to the injection pump?

Please allow me to me to clarify, the fuel system you have should look very similar to this one. The high pressure pump is capable of delivering high pressure fuel to the system but can not pull fuel to its self and fuel must be supplied to it via a transfer pump. IF you have determined that the fuel shut off is in fact working, you will need to ensure that the transfer system is working as well. It is very common for improperly installed seals on filters and water separators  to begin to "leak" or pull air into the system and cause a fuel delivery problem. Another common problem is dry rotted cracked fuel lines, clogged or restricted fittings and filter bases and clogged or plugged suction screens in tanks. Further, if your machine is equipped with a mechanical transfer pump that works off a camshaft lobe, these pumps have screens in the top cover that must be serviced from time to time and can become plugged.

I hope this information has helped you, please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.