Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an older 863 F Bob. I have an older 863 F that I

Customer Question
Hello I have an...

Hello I have an older 863 F Bob

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Hello I have an older 863 F that I can't get the traction unlocked. It was acting up a little before it completely stopped. I replaced the traction control switch and safety bar sensor but it's still not unlocking, any suggestions?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/16/2022
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 1 month ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, are all the LED lights lit up on the BICS controller? Are any of them flashing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello, yes the all the lights come on quickly and the traction light blinks 3 times and goes out.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm guessing your not calling anytime soon? I put the request in before 2:30 and not going to be available after 5pm eastern time.

Sometimes that's the way things work. Myself, I'm too busy at work during the day to log in here, I typically log in late in the evenings. I'm posting a chart that shows the flash codes for the Bobcat F series BICS controller, traction light flashing three times would the the hold coil circuit of the traction lock is shorted to ground.  Possible causes would be traction lock solenoid hold circuit is shorted internally, wire that runs from BICS controller to traction lock solenoid is shorted to ground, or faulty BICS controller. Disconnect the traction lock solenoid where it connects to the frame harness. Should be three wires on the traction lock solenoid, Black = ground, Red = hold coil circuit, White = pull coil circuit. Connect test leads of a multimeter to red and black wires, a good hold coil circuit would read 10 to 11 ohm, if it's out of that range likely faulty. Next test is connect test lead to red wire and the other test lead to the metal body of the solenoid, see if it reads continuity. If it does, hold coil is shorted internally requiring new solenoid. You can also test the pull coil circuit the same way by connecting to the white and black wires, should read 0.4 to 0.5 ohm and read no continuity to solenoid body. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i tested the solenoid with an old solenoid with a used one i had one the shelf and it does have power but it's too week to lift the traction lock, cleaned all the fuses with contact cleaner and looked for chaffed wires. still not working? I also cleaned the connector at the BICS and now have all solid green lights.I'll check the voltage at the power supply tomorrow morning.

It's been years since I've worked on an F series machine but IIRC the fuse box on those machines was in the engine compartment and on the back side of the fuse box were the relays that control start, glow plugs, and pull coil circuit of parking brake solenoid. You need to make sure that relay is sending full 12V power to the white wire at the brake solenoid. That is if you've confirmed your solenoid is good. Keep in mind that relay only stays powered for a moment, just long enough to engage the solenoid, after a few seconds the BICS controller drops the signal to the relay and releases it.