Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My 1984 JCB 1400B backhoe loses power going forward as well…

Customer Question
My 1984 JCB 1400B backhoe...
My 1984 JCB 1400B backhoe loses power going forward as well as when I am working hydraulics to dig when engine gets hot. Why
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/19/2022
Mechanic: TomcM28, Owner replied 6 months ago
TomcM28
TomcM28, Owner

Hello, my name is*****’d like to help you today. Experts are users on the site just like you, we come on to help when time allows. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with your JCB, I’ll do my best to work with you towards a solution. Please give me a moment to review your request and I’ll return shortly with my recommendation(s). In the meantime, may I ask with whom am I speaking?

Jacob

Hi Jacob! I’ll be happy to assist with your JCB power issue. I would begin by changing the fuel filter(s) and evaluating fuel condition. Also check the air intake system for restrictions and turbo operation. Do you know at which temperature the loss occurs?

The temperature gauge is broken but if you dig for 10 minutes that's when it startsIs there a filter in the injector pump?

Some injection pump have a screen at the pump some do not. I would also check your fuel tank for foreign material and fuel lines for dry rot or loose clamps.

I do not believe the injection pump on your machine has a screen. Your fuel filter should have a removable water separator bowl. Verify that both gaskets (filter top & bottom) are intact and that the tightening bolt has a good o-ring for sealing.

Also the diaphragm fuel pump may be causing the issue. You can disassemble the pump for inspection and rebuild/replace if necessary.

I hope this information helps you, my goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. If you wish to ask me a question in the future on a new topic, you can feel free to add me to your favorites then type @ followed by my name in your next chat. I look forward to assisting you again in the future. Thank you for choosing Just Answer!