Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a 2005 cat 287b. Lost all power to the right joystick.

Customer Question
Have a 2005 cat...

Have a 2005 cat 287b. Lost all power to the right joystick. Lap bar light is flashing. We’ve checked every safety switch and they are all fine. There is no power to any of the wires on the right joystick.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2005 297b. Zsa00396

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Only thing we could find that was a little odd was somebody has messed around with the grounds for the ecm under the floorboard. The machine will move forward and backwards

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/10/2022
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc. Bare with me while I review your information and follow up with my suggestions. 

Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine.  Be sure to check all fuses and relays but also take a look at all of your wiring and connections going to your safety interlock circuit for any type of corrosion or damage that would cause a short or open circuit. Check and rule out any battery or charging system related problems as well. Some of the checks on this circuit may require Caterpillar electronic technician diagnostic software for proper troubleshooting and potential programming if it is necessary. Click on the link below for the troubleshooting procedure to follow with your armrest indicator flashing. Some of these checks as I have mentioned would require Caterpillar electronic technician on a laptop connected to this machine, but you can likely perform the checks or have someone help you perform the checks for any of those that may not require Caterpillar electronic technician in hopes that you reach a solution and a diagnosis before you get to the point where Caterpillar electronic technician is needed. Click on the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngeqx9ldm2po04m/Cat%20B%20series%20skidsteer%20Armrest%20indicator%20flashing.pdf?dl=0

I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further advice is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Keep me posted.