Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I’ve got a CAT IT28G. I don’t know it off the top of my

Customer Question
I’ve got a CAT...

I’ve got a CAT IT28G

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I don’t know it off the top of my head

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

It won’t move forward or reverse

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Hello
4/12/2022
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I would first check the fuses for the transmission control.

Next check the operation of the neutralizer pedal. If you turn the neutralizer switch off, the pedal switch is bypassed and the transmission should go into to gear.

When putting it is forward or reverse nothing happensBut when we tap on the valve under cab connected to brake pedal it moves

If they are good, then begin checking the pump pressure to see if it is still moving oil.

Also when you press the left pedal just right it allows you to move

The switch for the neutralizer and the brake lights are above the valve. If the linkage is sticking, that will also trigger the neutralizer switch.

Lubricate the linkage first.

The linkage doesn't seem to be sticking

Then turn off the dash switch to see if it will bypass the pedal switch.

How?

It is a rocker switch. Just press the top or bottom.

I will try that in the morningIf that works?

Everything else will involve the ECM and shift controller. The serial number is ***** must to troubleshoot those issues. Too many options and variables to guess.

The neutralizer switch is a common problem and using the dash switch will bypass the pedal switch. A quick and easy test.

It is possible to have wiring problems in these circuits that can react the same way but the switch is the most common.

Is it possible to be the left pedal position sensor?

Possible but, I am not familiar with a G model that has a sensor. Most had switches. That is why it is important to have the serial number.

I will get that first thing tomorrowCan I text you in the morning

No, sorry. I work in the evening.

Ok

Thanks. I am usually back on line around 7 pm US eastern time.