Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a couple codes coming up in my D6N. 0722.05, 0668.12…

I have a couple...

I have a couple codes coming up in my D6N. 0722.05, 0668.12 and 0618.02. Can you help me out with these?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

D6N ser no. ALY02161

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'd rather send ny in house mechanic rather than calling the dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Nope, thats it

4/8/2022
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine. Your fault code definitions are as follows.

0618.02 - Parking Brake Switch - no dump solenoid energized signal from the ECM with switch in park position.

668.12 Transmission Shift Lever: FMI 12 Bad device or component.

722 is for the secondary brake solenoid circuit.

.05 indicates the current of the solenoid is below normal  or a possible open circuit.

This diagnostic code is recorded when the current of the solenoid is below normal. The secondary brake solenoid will not engage the brakes when the service brake pedal is pressed near the floor.

Note: Ensure that CID 0722 FMI 05 is on hold and that the fault present indicator shows "SERV CODE". In order to correctly determine the status of the fault present indicator, turn the keyswitch ON while the brake pedal is completely released. Completely depress the pedal and release the pedal again. The fault present indicator will only show "SERV CODE" for CID 0722 FMI 05 when the pedal is released. This will happen only after the pedal has been cycled completely since the last powerup. Use the same procedure in order to clear the diagnostic code after repairs have been made.

Test Step 1. CHECK THE SOLENOID.

1. Turn the key start switch to the ON position while the brake pedal is released. Press the pedal completely and then release the pedal. Ensure that CID 0722 FMI 05 is on hold.

2. Disconnect the machine harness from the secondary brake solenoid.

3. At the machine harness connector for the solenoid, place a jumper from contact 1 to contact 2.

4. Observe the status of the fault present indicator.

Expected Result:

"SERV CODE" is displayed and "SERV CODE" is NOT displayed as the jumper is installed and the jumper is removed.

Results:

• YES - The circuit is correct. The solenoid is faulty. Repeat the step in order to verify the solenoid failure.

Repair: Replace the solenoid.

STOP

• NO - The fault remains. Proceed to test step 2.

Test Step 2. CHECK THE SIGNAL CIRCUIT OF THE SOLENOID FOR AN OPEN.

1. Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.

2. Disconnect the machine harness connectors J1 and J2 from the ECM.

3. The jumper of test step 1 remains installed.

4. At machine harness connector J1 and J2, measure the resistance from J1-8 to J2-3 and to J1-7.

Expected Result:

There should be less than 5.0 ohms resistance.

Results:

• OK - The machine harness is correct. Proceed to test step 3.

• NOT OK - There is an open circuit in the machine harness. The open is in wire G731-GY(Grey) or in wire 975-WH(White) of the machine harness.

Repair: Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 3. DETERMINE IF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE IS STILL ACTIVE.

1. Inspect the contacts and clean the contacts of the harness connectors.

2. Reconnect all harness connectors.

3. Turn the key start switch to the ON position.

4. Enter service mode of the Caterpillar Monitoring System and clear all inactive diagnostic codes.

5. Operate the machine. Use the full range of brake pedal during operation.

6. Stop the machine and release the service brake pedal.

7. Determine if the CID 0722 FMI 05 diagnostic code has recurred.

Expected Result:

CID 0722 FMI 05 diagnostic code is recorded.

Results:

• YES - The problem has not been corrected. It is unlikely that the ECM is faulty.

Repair: Exit this procedure and perform the diagnostic code procedure again. If the problem persists, the ECM may have failed. Prior to replacing an ECM, always contact your dealership's Technical Communicator for possible consultation with Caterpillar. This consultation may greatly reduce repair time. See the Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

STOP

• NO - The diagnostic code is NOT present.

Repair: The problem does not exist at this time. The initial problem was probably caused by a poor electrical connection or a short at one of the harness connectors that was disconnected and reconnected. Resume normal machine operation.

STOP

I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Dan, Technician