Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a kobelco 150 excavator track is stuck in one

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a kobelco 150 excavator track is stuck in one direction

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Mark 3 sk150 LC YM-00221

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Only went as far as trying to look at some linkage I'm thinking it's the valve body underneath the pedals though

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/24/2022
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Okay thanks Dan my name is***** underneath the pedals for the tracks there's a valve body one track had been sticking for a while but now it is just stuck in reverse I'm assuming it would be in that valve body but not sure was looking for some help before I go ahead and pull it out

Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine Ryan. Listen for the engine loading when you move the control levers in order to determine if pilot pressure is getting back to the valve in order to shift the spools in the main control valve to then send main pressure and flow down to your travel motors. Swing the machine so that the bottom of the cab is in between the track frames in order to allow access underneath if you wanted to inspect the pilot valves for your travel for any trash or debris within the valves that would cause them to stick or malfunction. The other potential cause here is failed swivel seals or Rotary manifold seals in other terms. If the seals have failed within the manifold allowing oil pressure to bypass, you would lose oil flow to the drive motors as it crosses over to another port within the manifold. Resealing the Rotary manifold is actually part of the troubleshooting process on excavators when you are experiencing travel problems that are commonly misdiagnosed for a faulty drive motor. This is an expensive misdiagnosis. Replace your hydraulic filter to inspect your existing filter internally for what looks like fine glitter or metal in the oil confirming a pump or component failure existing on this machine and system contamination. If all this is clean, check for excessive case drain return pressure or flow from your drive motor case drain ports. Run a hose from the case drain port into an empty 5 gallon bucket. Pin the track between the sprocket and track chain to prevent movement with a bucket pin or something equivalent. Slowly engage travel and you should see a low volume and flow of oil from the case drain return port. If it comes out under high pressure or volume, that drive motor has failed and has excessive internal leakage. Basically, if the oil shoots over to the other track, the drive motor is junk.Compare both sides.

I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.