Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My 415 Cat back wont go in to gear. Ser # 5PC04106 cat 415…

Customer Question
My 415 Cat back...

My 415 Cat back hoe wont go in to gear

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Ser # 5PC04106 cat 415 back hoe with aD7 1332 transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes troble shot solenoids getting .8 volts removed cover to fuse panel foud wires eatin up by rats, replaced missing wireing etc after this was copleted started unit up engaged trans, unit jumped i

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Forward and thats it im prtty sure its electrical is there an relay that needs to be reset ??

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2022
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 6 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue.

Your backhoe is actually a 416. Here are the details for your serial number.

416 Backhoe Loader

Machine Serial Number - 5PC04106

Machine Build Date - 1987/04/19

This serial number has a Type 1 transmission control.

Transmission Hydraulic System In Neutral (Engine Running - Type 1)
(1) Forward clutch assembly. (2) Reverse clutch assembly. (3) Input shaft assembly. (4) Transmission control valve. (5) Neutralizer valve. (6) Neutralizer solenoid. (7) Flow control spool. (8) Forward/reverse selector valve. (9) Oil filter. (10) Load piston. (11) Oil pump. (12) Relief valve. (13) Check valve for load piston. (14) Orifice for load piston. (15) Inlet relief valve for torque converter. (16) Screen. (17) Oil cooler. (18) Oil reservoir. (19) Torque converter. (20) Orifice for torque converter bypass. (A) Pressure tap for reverse clutch. (B) Pressure tap for pump. (C) Pressure tap for forward clutch. (D) Pressure tap for torque converter inlet. (E) Pressure tap for torque converter outlet. (F) Pressure tap for lubrication and cooling.

This image is the basic layout.

When the engine is started oil pump (11) pulls oil from reservoir (18) through screen (16) to the pump. The pump sends the oil through filter (9) to control valve (4).

Orifice (23) allows oil pump to bleed air to tank during initial start up. Orifice (23) also provide additional oil flow to the torque converter with out passing through flow control valve (7).

Oil pressure moves flow control spool (7) to the right. This allows oil not needed by the transmission circuit to flow to the torque converter circuit.

On the machines with type 1 control valves, oil needed by the transmission circuit flows through the orifice in the center of flow control (7) spool and goes to forward/reverse selector valve (8).

Since neutralizer solenoid (6) has not been activated, nothing occurs at neutralizer valve (5).

With the forward/reverse selector valve in neutral there is low residual pressure within the control valve. So little pressure is sent to load piston (10) for modulation. Relief valve (12) pressure may be as low as initial relief setting.

The solenoid on the top of the transmission is the neutralizer. It only activates when powered and then it disengages the transmission.

I believe your problem is trash in the control valve or low pump pressure.

Install a gauge on the port but the filter to read pump pressure.

Pump pressure is read at full throttle and should be 175 psi for 2WD machines, 225 on 4WD machines.

Check your pressures and let me know what you find.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH