Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat D6 LGP and transmission temp on cluster is

Customer Question
pegged out as if it...
I have a cat D6 LGP and transmission temp on cluster is pegged out as if it was overheating. Computer shows to be reading correctly but the signal to cluster from ECM isn’t right or something. I swapped cluster out of my other dozer and it did same thing. What do I need to look far?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/12/2022
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Most dash gauges do not use the same sensor as the ECM. It is likely the wiring to the sender for the dash is broken.

the ecm doesn’t signal to the cluster?

It depends on the model and serial number. Older tractors do not, newer tractors  do share some data.

I have ground. 8 volt power supply and 5 volt coming through the signal wire. I traced those wire all they way to the ecm that’s under the steering joy stick2006 cat D6N LPG

That model usually has separate senders for the the dash.

Any idea where that would be located? I’m usually pretty sharp on the electrical but this has me stumped

Transmission temperature senders are on the torque convertor outlet valve.

It depends on the serial number. A few where in the oil cooler line.

your saying there is more then 1 sending unit?

Depending on the serial number, it will have one sender and one sensor.

Senders are analog to the dash and sensors are digital to the ECM.

BMA34400

That is the engine serial number, would you have the machine serial number? (PIN)

Awesome! I’ll check it out tomorrow and see what I find out. I was starting to worry about the ecm. Can you look up parts?

Check for continuity of the Yellow Wire marked 443 at the sender back to the dash. It goes to pin #28 on the EMS display connector. (40 pin)

The black wire at the sensor is a ground.

Can you find part # for the radiator to? I believe the radiator is gone bad. The cores have rusted over inside I believe and overheats under heavy operation. New h20 pump, theromos, radiator cap, and thorough wash and still heats up

233-6814 RADIATOR GP
S/N AKM766-UP; ALY854-UP
PART OF 233-6811 RADIATOR GP

Awesome I appreciate it sir! I’ll will check that sensor out tomorrow if I go in if not Monday. Thanks for the help

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

I will definitely stay in touch. I have 2 cat 950M wheel loaders and a D6 dozer. Do you even help for cat 6nz and Acerts. Cat 3412 etc.

I haven't done much truck work in years but, I have done work on C15, C18, C27 and the 3456 and 3412 engines.  Mostly work on construction equipment.

No problem. I appreciate it. The most headache with a C15 I had was the reman heads cracking between the cylinders on 3 heads and finally ordered a stage 4 virgin head that is badass!

That is beyond my experience. I haven't seen that much trouble in any machine engine. OTR Trucks are always rough on engines.

Other than that we have a brand new Vermeer Tg7000 with 3412 and 390 hours it swarmed. New air filter design wasn’t right and ate it up. I’m hoping Vermeer gets a complete new engine after this deal

Use to work on Morbark with the 3412 but, that has been limited these days too.

Our other 3412s in our older ones are golden and the big huge engine in our Peterson 5710. I hate to take your time but I appreciate your help and give you further update on what I find out. I’m sure there are some that don’t give feedback once the problem is solved!

Great, I do appreciate knowing the job is complete.

Thanks again,

Don

Awesome! Glad you found it. 

Thanks again, Don

Soon as I unplugged it the needle fell so that told me sensor is bad

That makes sense. Not uncommon on this sensor. Seen them fail of the R series when it is used in the back of the transmission for lube temperature.

Can you send me wiring diagram of AC system on this dozer? Now AC fan keeps popping fusesDisregard a rag was stuck in fan blade motor.But I do have a service code 036 and 030 on dash. What is the cause of the warning

The 036 and 030 are just Module Identifiers (ECM) for the engine and monitor.

You will need to review the rest of the code to determine the CID (Component ID) and the FMI (Failure Mode ID) The last part could be as follows;

0096.03 or 0096F03 or just 096.03 Some were three numbers for the CID and others were four numbers. All FMI numbers are just two places.

Please be sure to note the words SERV CODE when the CID and FMI is shown. That means the code is active.

04(###) ###-####11(###) ###-####02(###) ###-####02(###) ###-####05(###) ###-####02
A bunch of these codes have been on this machine awhile. Never could find the code to see what they meant
Here are your codes.

(###) ###-####04 CID 0826 -Torque Converter Oil Temperature FMI 04 Voltage below normal or shorted low

(###) ###-####11 CID 0342 FMI 11 Secondary Engine Speed Sensor mechanical failure

(###) ###-####02 CID 0342 FMI 02 Loss of Secondary Engine Speed signal (###) ###-####02 CID 0248 - Data Link: FMI 02 Data erratic, intermittent, or incorrect (###) ###-####05 CID 0324 - Lamp (Action): FMI 05 Current below normal or open circuit (###) ###-####02 CID 0819 - Display Data Link: FMI 02 Data erratic, intermittent, or incorrect
Could those be stored codes?

Did they show the words SERV CODE when they were displayed?

If they did, they are active codes. If they did not, they are logged codes.

said service. Code

I think you should check the codes again, it is unlikely for all the codes to be active. Remember, the word SERV CODE must show at the same time as the code is scrolling on the display. When the display is in normal mode, any logged codes will cause it to show the words SERV CODE.

It is helpful to run the machine for some time to allow all conditions to be in their normal working ranges and then check the scroll view for the codes and this will show you the most recent active codes first( with SERV CODE showing). Then the most recent logged codes (codes only).

File attached (VQ4Q3V1)
11 CID 0342 FMI 11 Secondary Engine Speed Sensor mechanical failure

(###) ###-####05 CID 0324 - Lamp (Action): FMI 05 Current below normal or open circuitAre the active codes. The 324 Action lamp is simple, the light is burnt out or removed. 

The engine speed sensor is more complicated.

MID 036 CID 0342 FMI 11

Conditions Which Generate This Code:

The signal for the secondary speed/timing sensor is intermittent or lost.

System Response:

The Electronic Control Module (ECM) will log the diagnostic code.

Possible Performance Effect:

There should not be a noticeable change in engine response unless the signal for the primary sensor is also lost. The loss of both sensors will shut down the engine.

Ok we will check it out. Thanks for the help again!
Can you also get part #s for the AC vents that go into dash? The plastic ones are broke and stuff and rags fall down into dash and other stuff etc.

8Y-6388 Louver AS-Vent

That is the old part number, looks like the new number is(###) ###-####

Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 26 days ago

Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH