Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Got cat Th63 (year 97) 5WM01323. Transmission. Going forward…

Customer Question
Got cat Th63 (year...

Got cat Th63 (year 97)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

5WM01323

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Going forward and reversing she slows down to almost stop and then goes ok for a while then does it again

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Where is transmission valve located and what is part number?
Also could it be a relay and which one?What am I waiting on?
3/6/2022
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 9 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue.

This transmission does not have a conventional valve body. It has a row of solenoids to engage the clutches.

Have you checked the oil level and changed the filter recently?

These were very reliable and most issues were one that would not engage.

I have seen some with brake problems, could a brake be dragging?

The parking brake linkage is known to cause this issue.

Machine all serviced with all filters and oils changed.
Is there not a proportion valve ie changing from forward to reverse.
Where are solenoids situated ?
ThanksWe Checked parking brake linkage

Two modulating valves are installed near the oil filter in the top of the transmission case.

The modulating valves control the rate of pressure increase when the forward low clutch or the reverse clutch is being engaged. The modulating valves also maintain the maximum operating clutch pressure. Modulating valve (1) operates when the transmission is operating in first speed forward, second speed forward, and third speed forward. Modulating valve (2) operates when the transmission is operating in first speed reverse, second speed reverse, and third speed reverse.

Note: The modulating valves do not operate in fourth speed forward.

Pressure drop in forward and reverse

Possible Cause

• The regulator valve (pressure) is worn.

Regulator valve is located under the oil filter. In addition to regulating the pressure that is required at the control valve, the regulator valve also maintains the oil flow to the control valve. The remaining oil flow is directed to the oil cooler and the torque converter. The regulator valve has an inlet port and two outlet ports. One of the outlet ports is connected to the control valve and the other outlet port is connected to oil cooler.

Location of Test Points and Ports on Transmission

(1) Inlet from oil cooler

(2) Test point (regulated pressure for all clutches)

(3) Outlet to oil cooler

(4) Test point (forward low clutch pressure)

(5) Test point (reverse clutch pressure)

(6) Inner test point (oil cooler inlet pressure)

(7) Outer test point (oil cooler inlet pressure)

Sorry didn't mean to return last pic

1. Start the engine and operate the engine at low idle.

1. The pressure reading should be 1792 ± 138 kPa (260 ± 20 psi).

1. Check that the switch for transmission neutralizer on the instrument panel is in the OFF position.

1. Disengage the parking brake.

1. Apply the service brake in order to hold the machine stationary. Select each transmission speed in sequence for forward direction and reverse direction. Note each of the readings on the pressure gauge. All clutch pressures must be equal within 35 kPa (5 psi).

1. If a particular problem with the forward low clutch or the reverse clutch is indicated by the operational checks, but a check on the regulated pressure is not conclusive, install the test equipment in the test point for the clutch with the problem. Move the transmission control to the appropriate direction in first speed, second speed, or third speed and check the pressure.

Note: If fourth speed is selected, test point (4) for the forward low clutch and test point (5) for the reverse clutch will not indicate pressure.

I hope that helps.

It is more than I have done in a while for these.

I think I have only had one transmission failure that needed testing and that was when they first came out.

You have been very helpful.
Thank you so much
You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH