Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a caterpillar 320D excavator. The swing will

Customer Question
I have a caterpillar...

I have a caterpillar 320D excavator. The swing will sometimes quit and I have to kill it and restart it to get it to swing again I have changed hydraulic filters and filled with fresh hydraulic fluid but it still does this and now it stops more than usual

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Ok

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/6/2022
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 6 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue.

Are you still looking for help with this problem?

I have seen swing problems but, never one that required the machine to be shutoff and restarted to make it work again. Does your 320D have other problems or damage? What leads you to believe it is a hydraulic problem? Could it be an electrical issue? Have you checked for fault codes?

Please post the complete machine serial number so I can better research and reply to your question.

Regards,

Don

Cat0320DHDHE00259 is serial number. I have had mechanic run codes and it was just codes with speed sensor, and changed swing sensor but no luck. Not sure if it could be electrical

Does your 320D have other problems or damage? Is the swing drive in good service? Have you have drive failures or turntable bearing issues before? Is the machine in top condition or poor conditions (working scrap piles)

What leads you to believe it is a hydraulic problem? Did you have a previous failure of any hydraulic parts?

Do you have battery or charging problems? Low voltage and high voltage can shutoff certain ECMs. 

Im not sure if it has hydraulic problems swing drive is in pretty good condition i think it has new batteries and charging good
I am sorry. I have not worked on L RR 320D machines. I haven't seen any of the standard excavators act in any way that required the machine to be shut off before it would return to normal functions. 

I will OPT-OUT so others can see your question and help you better.

Mechanic: Bill,
 replied 6 months ago
Bill
hello Im Bill I have a couple question it does seem to be electrical
Im not sure but i was just thinking it had to be hydraulic because i dont see any electrical wires going to joy stick othan than horn
ok what should i check
Mechanic: Bill,
 replied 6 months ago
is it just the swing do you notice anything else not working when this happens
Just swing
Mechanic: Bill,
 replied 6 months ago

ok you shut it off and back on all is good for a bit

Mechanic: Bill,
 replied 6 months ago

ok it electric im more then shore

What should i do to check
Mechanic: Bill,
 replied 6 months ago

there is a panel just behind the cab fuses relays look at that and look for loose fuses connections

Ok thanks
Mechanic: Bill,
 replied 6 months ago

there are wires bolted up check it all and let me know

Ok i will thanks
Mechanic: Bill,
 replied 6 months ago

I'll do my best to get you going

Thanks
Mechanic: Bill,
 replied 6 months ago

im going to bed and will watch for you tomorrow

Ok
Mechanic: Bill,
 replied 6 months ago

if there is anything let us know thanks for using just answer