Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Catmastertech, how would one go about diagnosing the final…

Hi catmastertech, how would one...
Hi catmastertech, how would one go about diagnosing the final drive of a 259D Skid Loader? My symptoms are as follows: Will be operating the machine and will come to a pretty immediate stop. Seems to be the right track only, and there is an aftermarket final drive motor on that side. Reversing the machine seems to allow me to move again. I've noticed that the machine seems to be low in power. Are there brake components that may be contributing? Many thanks. David
3/5/2022
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 5 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Hello and thank you for requesting me. 

The brake for the track machines are in the motor assembly. A small line is fed from the brake solenoid to both motors simultaneously. If the pressure or solenoid were the root cause, both brakes would apply. It is not likely for a brake seal to leak and cause it to lock one track and only partially in one direction.

It is common to see this problem when a gear is damaged in the drive. However, the track belt can also cause this when rocks or sticks are stuck in the track drive area.

First inspect the belt completely for damage or debris in the track. Look for a bro***** *****nk that does not ride on the sprocket correctly.

It may be helpful to raise the machine tracks off the ground and run the machine so one person can watch the track to see if it is binding somewhere.

If the track and undercarriage are all good, then drain the oil from the final drive and inspect it for metal. If the oil is silvery or a magnet can pickup metal slivers, the drive has damage.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Thank you for the thorough response. I’ll let you know what I learn.

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH