Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Champion 740A grader series 2 1985 model roughly, after

Customer Question
Champion 740A grader series 2...
Champion 740A grader series 2 1985 model roughly, after running the machine; hydraulic fluid overflows out the tank vent.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
2/24/2022
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 9 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

I am talking like after 5 minutes of run time, the machine has been sitting for over 5 years. Started right up after new batteries and topping off all the fluids. I ran all the hydraulic levers and they operate as the should, except the articulation valve on the valve body isn’t hooked up to the cable that runs to the cab, so I don’t know if the valve is stuck. I am going to put new filters on today and try that. Any other thoughts?

Sorrry to hear you're having these troubles with this equipment. The symptoms you describe,Lean towards a possible pump seal or hydraulic components seal leaking causing a transfer of oil from the hydraulic system and overfilling of that compartment. The other thing that would cause this is pressure building within the tank if the hydraulic Reservoir is overfull and the hydraulic functions are then retracted leaving no airspace for the oil and ultimately forcing the oil out of the vent.  If the leak is the hydraulic reservoir itself, I would suspect that it may be overfull with oil. I hope you find this information helpful.

I can look down the fill hole and watch the oil raise 5” over a few minutes when the oil gets warm. When the motor is cold the dipstick shows good. Where should a guy start? Drain a few more gallons out the tank? Perhaps start driving the thing around and do some grading using all the functions? It has been sitting awhile, bought it off a logger.Actually come to think about it, after it overflowed I shut it off and let it drain oil into the a bucket. I started going back to air painting the grader to make it look nice. Hours later I started it up and a few of the control lever would not push in either direction to operate the valve body valve. Like it was almost hydrolocked up with pressure. Perhaps that has something to do with it.When I first bought it, all the levers where smooth and the functions worked now that I think about it, I did add like 10-15 gallons in that tank when I bought it
Can you tell me if the 8400 power shift transmission takes engine oil? SAE 30 for my temp range? I’ve never put in engine oil in a tranny before

Normally the 30 weight oil is more of a transmission drivetrain oil/hydraulic oil. Like a Texaco TDH 30 weight or John Deere Hygard. Look at the specifications. Generally these universal drivetrain oils you will find that they meet a Cat TO2 specification or the new spec TO4.

Thank you. I ran that grader a little longer today and it didn’t overflow, however it was low oil, but all the functions worked.