Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 312 E L excavator. My excavator will curl in…

I have a cat 312...
I have a cat 312 E L excavator. My excavator will curl in but will not curl out. What can I check?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/24/2022
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
he the flow to the cylinder hoses, if you have the flow to retract/curl, the cylinder may have internal leakage at the internal piston, sealing for out, bypassing for in, like the piston is loose on the rod.
Just had cylinder repacked and working fine. I had a pilot hose I thought was mixed up.Also my stick spool was in stuck out position and fixed that.If I had an issue with the bucket spool side would I still be able to curl in but not out?

I would think the curl would work in either case.

I also change relief valve and the problem stayed the same so I don’t think that was it.I had a few lines replaced under valve body and was just wondering since all of the other motions work all the lines should be in the right place but if somehow got mixed up could that cause one function such as curl out to not workIf the spool that controls the bucket curl in and out was stuck would it allow me to curl in and not out.The bucket doesn’t drift in or out like the spool is stuck in one position or the other so that’s why I don’t think that is the case and is why I’m pointing towards a pilot hose under the valve. I just know there is people out here with more experience than I have

Thats why I would check the fluid to the cylinder hoses. The spool would not be stuck.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
One of my guys put 2 pilot lines in the wrong place and that is what caused that problem.

Thanks for the update!