Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My 302.5 Cat mini ex won't crank over. I can jump start it…

Customer Question
My 302.5 Cat mini...

My 302.5 Cat mini ex won't crank over. I can jump start it no problem. I am think it is a safety switch of some kind causing the issue

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

302.5C

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Customer:(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Gbb00592 is another number. I have installed a new ignition and the relays pertaining to the starting system

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/30/2022
Mechanic: Marcus S., Diesel mechanic replied 6 months ago
Marcus S.
Marcus S., Diesel mechanic
Hello sorry to hear you’re having issues with your excavator.As a first course of action you should check the entire ignition harness to ensure that there are no brakes in the wiring harness. Then take a multimeter and make sure your ignition switch is getting power and also ensure that you have proper grounds within the harness.

Some mini excavator units come with a seat safety switch. Check under the seat and if you have one make sure the switch is properly connected and has no broken wires. Since you just replace the ignition switch and the starting relay we can rule those out. Also I know this is obvious but double check the voltage on the battery to make sure it has a proper charge.

Hi
It will take me a couple hours to get started on it
I have always been able to start it off of the machine and it starts right up when I jump it at the starter
It has been starting rather finicky before it stopped working
You had to turn the key super slow and I could hear a slight electric crackling also
That's why I suspected the ignition
There is a Saftey switch in the left controls arm the lifts up the turn off the hydraulics
It's 5 am here
I will check it out around 8
Thanks
No problem sir.
It appears you may have found a fix or have decided not to resume this chat. I hope I have aided you with sufficient information for your repair. Have a nice day sir.

Stay safe.