Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I just bought a Cat bulldozer D6N LGP and i have some issue…

I just bought a...

I just bought a Cat bulldozer D6N LGP and i have some issue codes

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me more about what's going on?

I start it up and operate for about 30 min and the info light starts blinking so i push the button and it gives the milages first then i push it again and it has service code #30 then i missed some of these numbers 9--6 then 136 then 175.04 then 113 then 165 then 113

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Not that im thinking

1/18/2022
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 6 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

You are access the scrolling mode for the fault codes but, we need the complete numbers in a specific order.

First the three number code is Module ID. 030 is the monitor, 036 or 039 is the engine, and 113 is the transmission. Some may have other three digit codes before the actual fault code.

All fault codes will have three or four numbers followed by a decimal point ( . ) or the letter F. and two more numbers.

A common code and like one you will see is 030 (monitor) 0096.02, which is for the fuel gauge (0096) and its FMI (Failure Mode Identifier) of (02) means it is intermittent.

Please scroll through the codes again and note the first few codes may show the words (SERV CODE) when the code is shown. This means the code is active and is the current problem recorded by the ECM.

Also, it is best to run the machine until the fault becomes active or you notice the issue, then retreive the codes BEFORE you turn the key off. That will give us the most current active codes and the list will be the most helpful to find the problem.

Thanks,

Don

I’ll run it again in the morn thanks

You're welcome! I will be here in the evening. I will OPT-OUT if you want to someone in the morning.

Hello, if you need further help with this problem, please reply soon or this question will go dead.

Thanks, Don

The codes are as follows: (###) ###-####03 /(###) ###-####04 /(###) ###-####04 /(###) ###-####02 /(###) ###-####12 /(###) ###-####04 / End

Here are the details for each code.

Diagnostic Codes For the Caterpillar Monitoring System (MID No. 030)

CID/FMI Description CID 0096 - Level Sensor (Fuel):

FMI 03 Signal voltage above normal or short to +battery

MID 036 CID 175 FMI 04

Conditions Which Generate This Code:

The Electronic Control Module (ECM) has been powered for at least two seconds.

The ECM reads signal voltage that is below 0.2 VDC for eight seconds.

System Response:

The ECM will log the diagnostic code. The diagnostic code may be viewed on a display module or on the Caterpillar Electronic Technician (ET). The ECM flags engine oil temperature as invalid data. The ECM sets the engine oil temperature to the same value as the coolant temperature. If the coolant temperature sensor has failed, one of the following values is used:

• If the engine is running, the engine oil temperature is set to 65 °C (149 °F).

• If the engine is not running, the engine oil temperature is set to −10 °C (14 °F).

Possible Performance Effect:

• None

Diagnostic Codes for the Power Train ECM (MID No. 113)

CID 0168 - Electrical System:

FMI 04 Voltage below normal or shorted low.

CID 0298 - Service Brake Switch:

FMI 02 Data erratic, intermittent, or incorrect.

CID 0668 - Transmission Shift Lever:

FMI 12 Bad device or component.

CID 1870 - Blade Angle Position Sensor for the Thumb Switch:

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician