Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Cat D9T has steering fault intermittently, locks out and…

Customer Question
Cat D9T has steering...

Cat D9T has steering fault intermittently, locks out and goes to limp mode?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Caterpillar D9T RJS00269

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing it myself, i presume it is a steering speed sensor at fault. Im not sure where these are located

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/3/2022
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 11 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue.

Are you still looking for help with this issue?

Did you record the fault codes for this problem?

I do, MID 113 ID E258 (3)

Ok, thanks.

That is an Event code. Did you check for diagnostic codes?

Here are the details for the Event code E258 (3)

No Steering Detected with Command Given Immediate safe shutdown required
Limp Home Mode is activated when the event code is active.
The steering motor speed sensor is not indicating steering motor movement to the ECM when steering is commanded.
Check for and clear any active CID 1469 or CID 1470 diagnostic codes for the steering motor speed sensor input signal circuits.
Check the mounting of the steering motor speed sensor.
Check the hydraulic system for: pump solenoid valves for being stuck in closed position, internal hydraulic leakage in the steer motor, COR valve stuck open, or steer pump failure.

I am looking for an image to help locate the sensor. I know it is on the steering motor but, it may be hard to see.
I think i have an image of where the sensor is. I will dig it out and go from there. I haven’t had a laptop on it yet . So no diagnostic codes.

The monitor has a built in diagnostic display. Have you used it before?

(Details of the monitor)

Monitoring System/Instrument Cluster

Instrument Cluster

The instrument cluster will display the following information that can be used for diagnostics:

Eighteen LED indicators provide information on the status of various systems. Three of the gauges display temperatures that may indicate when a problem exists with a particular system. Also, the instrument cluster has a service mode for determining diagnostic codes.

Advisor

The Advisor will display a list of all active and logged events and diagnostic codes. Each line on the list shows the following information about that event or code.

• MID (Module Identifier)

• CID (Component Identifier)

• FMI (Failure Mode Identifier)

• Occ (number of occurrences of the event or code)

• First (service hour of the first occurrence of the event or code)

• Last (service hour of the last occurrence of the event or code)

• Act (marked with "X" if the event or code is currently active)

If you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks, Don
CATMASTERTECH

Thanks Don, ill get through all that you have suggested and ill get back to you. Hopefully i can at least find the diagnostic codes.

Ok, normally, the D9T does not place the diagnostic screen behind any password. you should be able to view the codes as shown below.

From the Service Menu, use the appropriate "ARROW" button to highlight the "Diagnostics" option, then press the "OK" button in order to access the Diagnostics screen. The Diagnostics screen shows a complete list of all active and logged diagnostic codes. Each line on the list shows the MID, CID, and FMI. Also the display shows the number of occurrences, the time (service hour) of the first occurrence and the last occurrence of the code or event, and whether it is currently active. From the Diagnostics screen, use the appropriate" ARROW" button to highlight a specific code (line on the list), then press the "OK" button to display that line's Detailed View". The Detailed View will display a text message showing the reporting ECM (MID), identify the failed component (CID), and provide an explanation of the failure, such as "System Voltage Below Normal" (FMI).

Note: The codes and events that are displayed in the Diagnostics option may be viewed at any time, but logged codes cannot be cleared until the technician has successfully entered the four digit machine password. Refer to Service Manual, RENR8170 for additional information.