Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Are you familiar with new holland LW 170 wheel loaders?

Customer Question
Are you familiar with...

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying myself. cleaned wire connections and searched for broken wires. so far not getting a solid fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Intermittently losing my transmission, seems electrical because when it works it works well.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
12/29/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc. Sorry to hear you're having these troubles. Check and verify the transmission oil level and condition to look for dark or discolored oil as well as any burnt smell. Also check for any traces of friction material or metal within the transmission filter or suction screen that would flag internal mechanical problems with the transmission. If no traces of any of this is found in the filter or oil, check all fuses and relays but also confirm that your parking brake circuit is functioning properly as the transmission will be allowed to shift after the parking brake is released. Double check your transmission neutralizer circuit as well for proper function. The transmission neutralizer will cause the transmission to default to neutral when working in tight quarters or loading trucks. Check the button on the front bucket controls for any problems with the switch or wiring. There should also be a switch to disable the neutralizer function as you will want to disengage that function for testing purposes as well. Verify power in and out of the transmission lever shift controls to your transmission shift solenoids for a possible worn out transmission shift control lever. It is not uncommon for these shift levers to fail because they get so much use when the operator is running the machine. It is a constant forward and back along with gearshift movement. It is probably one of the most common failures. It is very possible that the contacts are worn and that's what you are experiencing when they are making intermittent connection. Thoroughly inspect the wiring harness and connector pins going to your transmission shift solenoids as well. If all of this checks out okay the last thing you would want to have done is to have your transmission pressures tested and verified whether or not they are within the factory specifications covered in your machines model and serial number service book. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.