Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1990 new holland skid steer 550 that drives great…

I have a 1990...

I have a 1990 new holland skid steer 550 that drives great but the bucket just stopped mid way through using it. I can move the bucket a hair but it wont fully move with pedals. There appears to be a leak coming out the bottom but i cant access engine because it stopped mid way

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

New holland L550

12/28/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 11 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine. If you have a leak underneath then it is likely that there is a hydraulic hose or component that has failed. You'll need to try to get the lift arms up into the service position with the boom cylinder support and lockout in place so the lift arms are safely in the air and you can move the operators cab up into the service position in order to access all of your hydraulic components underneath the operators cab. You may need another machine to assist getting the lift arms up. Make sure the hydraulic oil also is topped off in operating range if it is only leaking with the engine running and a particular function operated. Change your hydraulic filter as well so you can inspect the existing filter for what looks like fine metal or glitter in the oil and filter indicating a component problem existing. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Hi Dan thank you for your reply. Would you be able to elaborate on how to get the arms up? it moves ever so slightly so I am wondering if there is an easier method to get it up in order to access engine. unfortunately we only have the one machine.

You would need to disconnect the hydraulic hoses to the cylinders with the bucket and work equipment for the lift arms supported safely with an appropriately rated lifting apparatus and either another machine or a service truck crane, etc. you can run a hose from the cylinder into an empty bucket or oil drum to catch the oil as you lift slowly to get the arms into position in order to put the safety supports in place.

Thank you for elaborating Dan. Is there any way to avoid having to disconnect the hoses and lifting with a seperate machine to make it lift? Since the machine is still fully functional otherwise, I am wondering if there is a way to flood it with oil for it to work just long enough for us to lift it all the way. I know it would not be ideal, but it would be alot less headache than this method.

That would depend on how serious the leak is. It could be quite messy.

Hi Dan. Do you know where the hydraulic fluid goes in this vehicle can’t seem to find it
We found the valve for it and it seems like it’s quite full of fluid. Does that indicate anything about what the problem might be ?
Hi Dan I have a very strange update to the problem. So we got the bucket up and the latch in. We learned that it was the seatbelt mechanism! However it’s extremely jerky to lift the bucket. We believe it’s the result of poor wiring for the safety seat belt mechanism. Do you know if we have to rewire it and it will be less jerky?

Your seatbelt mechanism shouldn't have anything to do with the hydraulic system beyond the actual valve that will shut down your hydraulics as a safety function. If that valve is free from any trash or any damage that would cause it to malfunction, I would have to say that it is possible that the pumps are cavity during and either starving for oil or sucking in air. I would check inside your hydraulic filter as well as the suction screen for what looks like fine metal or glitter indicating a pump or component failure existing on this machine if found. Usually once pumps start making noise and cavitation exists, the damage is already done. These hydrostatic drives however should be run at three-quarter to full throttle in order to feather the controls. Lower RPMs would result in jerky operation and stalling conditions. It might be a good idea to have your pump flows and pressures checked and verified that they are within factory specifications for your machines service book to give you a good health check on what you are dealing with.

thank you for your reply dan. However the wiring is completely detached now and I am wondering how to fix it before I can address those other concerns. I am including a photo of the broken wire and I am wondering if you could direct me to which part to order?

That image is not a supported file format on my computer so I cannot open it. If it is a PDF or JPG, or PNG ,I would be able to open it.

Also please keep in mind that one problem or line item per question thread is website policy so we don't want to go too far off topic from the original request, or a new question should be opened for that new topic.

There are a couple of options. You can use a different style of connectors to connect those wires together, or you can just use to butt connectors To splice on the ends of the wires and connect the wires together and eliminate that connector. Do one wire at a time so you connect it the way it would as it is now.

Dan, Technician