Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 312 E L excavator. Travel alarm isn’t working…

Customer Question
I have a cat 312...
I have a cat 312 E L excavator. Travel alarm isn’t working and fast travel isn’t working are these related
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
12/20/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 9 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Hello.

Generally speaking, these are not related. Your touchpad that has the switch for travel also has an alarm cancel button but, the touchpad just sends signals to the ECM for controls.

If this has pilot pressure control pedals instead of electronic pedals, a pressure switch is located on the block t signal the ECM when the travel pedals are used. The ECM turns on the alarm.

The "Rabbit" mode is a signal from the touchpad to the ECM and the ECM send power to the travel speed solenoid to allow pilot pressure to go to the high speed line on the travel motors.

What should I check firstIt has pilot pressure control pedalThe alarm will go in and out sometimes but it has gotten worse.I also just replaced the ECM located behind the motor
Also when I pick up one side of the tracks at a time and walk the engine speed will drop down and then pick back up

Sorry, I missed your reply. I am in a weak area and don't have a good signal.

Since the engine speed slows down, that points to the pressure switch on the travel pedal valve.

I will be home in an hour and can work with you further. Please post the machine serial number (PIN) if you do need more help.

MJD01130 CAT 312 E LYea if you could give me pointers of where to look I’ll check the travel pedal vale’s
Ok when I walk machine for few minutes the travel beeper starts working and then I can put in rabbit ( fast mode) but soon as I stop I have to do it all over again.Can the pedal valves cause that delay in travel modes
The switch used to be mounted on the travel pedal valve under the floor but, this machine appears to have moved it back to the original location on the main control valve. See the image below. 

I am not sure it is related to the speed issue but, it could be. Some did use the switch as part of the travel speed controls.

The part number should be(###) ###-#### A simple test would be to install a jumper wire in it to see if the travel alarm and speed switch work correctly. The engine should also increase speed.

Where do I need to run jumper wire to from switch
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 months ago
You are only bypassing the switch. Just install a jumper wire in the switch contacts to simulate a closed switch.
I’m replacing pressure sensor now and the sensor nut is tight as hell. Don’t that sensor just screw off

Yes, they normally are brass and a 9/16" wrench will fit it.

I have replaced switch and pressure switch and still having issues with the travel not going into rabbit/ high speed and also tracking alarm isn’t workingAlso when I pick up one side of track and walk it walks fine in low mode but when I pick up the other side it walks for few moment then drops down rpm to really low.Why would it walk fine on one side and not the other I have a feeling these problems are relatedOk also when I’m walking one side and curl bucket in at same time it makes walking alarm work. What in the world can this be
I’m checking voltage to backup/travel alarm and have .3 and it takes a few min before 27 volts reaches the connection to start alarm.