Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 345C Cat excavator with slow stick in and out

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 345C Cat excavator with slow stick in and out fault. It appears that the second pump is not working when the stick circuit is used. the second pump works with all other functions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far I've swapped relief valves for the stick and Aux circuits with no change in stick speed. Stick cycle time is 9.2 sec in and 11.5 sec out which is twice the expected time. I have my scan tool connected and when using the stick pump 2 remains at 3800kpa with pump 1 reaching 18000kpa. So my question would be what controls pump 2 on the stick circuit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No that should be all

12/14/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

The pilot pressure is controlled at the pressure reducing valve (232-4102 Valve group) located under the main control valve next to the pilot manifold block. It has two adjustment screws but, they never need adjusting. This valve sends pilot oil to the stick 2 spool so it will open when the pilot pressure is high enough to call for the higher flow from both pumps. At lower pilot pressures, it restricts the pilot pressure to the stick 2 spool and flow is only from the stick 1 valve to the cylinder. (one pump flow).

I suspect your pilot pressure is too low or this valve has trash in it and is preventing pilot oil from going to the stick 2 spool.

See the image below.

Right, I’ll remove it now and inspect for debris. Does the(###) ###-####valve only control stick 2 function or all pilot control. As stick is the only slow function, all other functions are operating within spec times.
Ok, I’ll have a look inside it and report back. Cheers.

You're welcome!

Ok, I’ve removed, disassembled, measured and reinstalled the(###) ###-####valve and no change in stick speed. What pressure should pilot oil be?Also valve was clean and springs were within spec

595 psi

Ok I’ll check now
pilot oil pressure is 595psiMeasured at the filter head

Are you getting pressure to both stick 1 and stick 2 spools.?

If will be lower than 400 psi max and should feather in at stick one until about 300 psi, then the pressure reducing valve sends pressure to stick 2 and it can build up to the same pressure as stick 1 pilot pressure when the joystick is fully applied.

I’ll check now

I will be ending my time here.

Do you want to close this question now or should I OPT-OUT?

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
I can close the question, thanks for your help, I’ll carry on diagnosing, cheers.

Ok, thanks. If you need more help I will be back tomorrow evening (US Eastern time)

No worries, if I still haven’t solved it I’ll reach out, thanks mate.

You're welcome! Glad to help.