Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I recently purchased a 2006 Cat 252B and unfortunately the…

I recently purchased a...

I recently purchased a 2006 Cat 252B and unfortunately the middle section of the Operators manual is missing. I'm not sure the process to engage the auxiliary hydraulics. I've confirmed all the fuses are good and all the wiring appears to be in good shape but can't verify voltage until I'm sure it's engaged. Can you provide instructions?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat 252B Serial number HSCP02805

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Not that I know of

11/25/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Below is the image of the switches in the cab.

Here is a list of all the functions. (Some are optional and may not be in your machine.)

(1) Auxiliary Hydraulic Pressure Release
(2) Automatic Level Control
(3) Auxiliary Electrical Control
(4) Work Tool Coupler Control
(5) Roading Lights
(6) Hazard Flashers
(7) Hydraulic Lockout and Interlock Override
(8) Beacon Switch
(9) Cab Light
(10) Glow Plug Starting Aid
(11) Parking Brake
(12) Auxiliary Hydraulic Mode
(13) Service Hour Meter
(14) Fuel Level Gauge
(15) Rear Work Lights
(16) Front Work Lights
(17) Turn Signals
(18) Engine Start Switch
(19) Window Wiper and Window Washer
(20) Joystick Control
(21) Joystick Control
(22) Governor Control
(23) Fan Speed Control
(24) Temperature Control
(25) Air Conditioning Control
(26) Seat Adjustment
(27) Suspension Seat
(28) Accelerator Control
(29) Interlock Control

Auxiliary Hydraulic Pressure Release (1)

Auxiliary Hydraulic Pressure Release - Push up on the locking tab and press the bottom of the switch in order to release the pressure in the Standard Flow Auxiliary Circuit and the High Flow Auxiliary Circuit (if equipped). Hold the switch for four seconds and release the switch.

Note: The pressure in the secondary circuit is not affected by this switch. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Work Tool Coupler Operation: Secondary Auxiliary Circuit" for the procedure to release the pressure.

Note: The operator must remain in the seat with the armrest in the LOWERED position in order for the control to function.

Auxiliary Electrical Control (3)

Auxiliary Electrical Control - The auxiliary electrical control supplies continuous electrical power to pin (H) that is located on the loader arm. Press on the bottom of the switch in order to turn on electrical power. Press on the top of the switch in order to turn off electrical power.

Hydraulic Lockout and Interlock Override (7)

Hydraulic Lockout - Press the top of the switch. This will disable the hydraulic functions. Press the top of the switch again in order to activate the hydraulic functions.

Note: Activate the hydraulic shutoff when you are roading the machine in order to prevent unplanned movement of the work tool and the loader arms.

Interlock Override - The interlock override allows the auxiliary hydraulic circuits to function with the armrest in the RAISED position. First, activate the continuous flow control that is located on the left side joystick. Refer to the section "Joystick and Auxiliary Hydraulic Controls" for detailed information. Press the bottom of the interlock override switch. This will activate the interlock override function. In order to turn off the interlock override and continuous flow, press the bottom of the switch again.

NOTICE

Do not leave the machine unattended while you have the interlock override function activated.

A switch is provided on the cab door that prevents implement operations when the cab door is open. If you choose to operate without the cab door, you must install a jumper wire between Terminal 4 and Terminal 5 in the wiring harness connector for the Window Wiper.

Note: When the door is installed, remove the jumper wire from the connector plug before you connect the harness. Damage to the door could occur if the jumper is left in place.

Auxiliary Hydraulic Mode (12)

NOTICE

High flow should not be continuously operated on machines that are equipped with high flow hydraulics. The high flow can be operated continuously on machines that are equipped with high flow and high pressure hydraulics.

Note: High flow will not operate if rabbit mode has been selected with the two speed control. High flow mode also requires an electrical connection that is located on the loader arm. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Work Tool Coupler Operation" or Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Work Tool Operation" for additional details.

Connect the work tool harness to the electrical plug on the loader arm.

Note: If your High Flow work tool does not have a wiring harness, a Jumper Plug needs to be installed on the electrical plug for the work tool control. Without this Jumper Plug, the machine will not provide High Flow to the work tool. Please refer to your Parts Manual for the current part number for the Jumper Plug.

Auxiliary Hydraulic Mode - Press the right side of the switch in order to select high flow. The indicator light will illuminate. Move the thumb wheel that is located on the right side joystick in order to supply hydraulic oil flow to the auxiliary hydraulic lines. Press the left side of the switch in order to select standard flow. The indicator light will not be illuminated. Move the thumb wheel that is located on the right side joystick in order to supply hydraulic oil flow to the auxiliary hydraulic lines. Refer to the section "Joystick and Auxiliary Hydraulic Controls" for additional details.

Auxiliary Electrical Control

Auxiliary Electrical Control (C2) - This control provides electrical power in order to control a three-position diverter valve that is located on some work tools. Press the switch and hold the switch in order to send power to the pin (D). Release the switch in order to deactivate the control.

Auxiliary Electrical Control (C1) - This control provides electrical power in order to control a three-position diverter valve that is located on some work tools. Press the switch and hold the switch in order to send power to pin (C). Release the switch in order to deactivate the control.

Right Hand Trigger - Pull the trigger and hold the trigger on the right hand joystick in order to provide electrical power to pin (B). Release the trigger in order to deactivate the control.

Continuous Flow Control

Continuous Flow - The continuous flow control supplies continuous flow of hydraulic fluid to the auxiliary hydraulic circuit without continuously holding the auxiliary hydraulic control. Press one of the two auxiliary hydraulic switches that are located on the right side joystick. Press the continuous flow switch on the left hand joystick and release the continuous flow switch. Immediately release the auxiliary hydraulic switch after you release the continuous flow switch. The continuous flow function will be activated if the operator releases the auxiliary hydraulic switch within one second of releasing the continuous flow switch. Press on either the auxiliary hydraulic control or the continuous flow switch in order to stop the flow to the auxiliary circuit.

That covers most of the auxiliary options. If I missed anything or you need more detail, please let me know.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help, please let me know. 
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

Thank you but ... I don't have button 12. This is 2006 machine. Has quick connects and electric connector but there is no button 12?

I would assume your machine is not equipped with High Flow options?

Do you have any markings for high flow or XPS?

No. And only 1 speed of travel.

Yes, they were options on B models only larger machines had high flow as standard equipment.

I'm trying to connect to a snow blower and standard flow is sufficient.

CAT Work Tool snow blower?

NO
Meteor snow blower requires 20gpm at 3200psi.

My spec sheet shows auxiliary pressure relief is set at 23000 ± 700 kPa (3336 ± 102 psi) and flow is spec'ed for 50.9 L/min (13.45 US gpm) @2000 rpm. (minimum flow allowed before rebuild)

What is not working?

No flow. I removed both make and female quick connect couplings and tired to engage. 0 flow.Do you have the operations manual section for this 2006 model ie less switch 12?

Ok, that is another problem in its self. The auxiliary should work regardless of any attachment being connected.

I posted the sections for all machines. The options are included in all manuals.

How can I order a replacement operations manual for this specific machine. CAT web site is useless. No results for 252B WTF?

Do you have troubleshooting tools for electrical problems?

Do you know anyone with the CAT service tooling ET to connect to the ECM?

You can order manuals from CAT directly at this link.

http://www.cat.com/en_US/support/maintenance/service-manuals.html

Use serial number. SCP02805

The manual part number is SEBU7731

I had too just enter 252B

Maybe. Let me contact him and see.Sorry. I went to the web site you suggested above. After having to set up an account I was finally able to get back to the same web page and typed in SEBU7731In the search tab. "Your search did not match any documents".Now I am asking why didn't I buy a John Deere. This is incredibly frustrating.

If it has electronic controls, the problems are the same.

I have found issues with ECMs and the joystick switches but, more common is a wiring fault. That can be difficult to find without using the service program CAT ET but, ohm testing the harness can often find the problem.

This link is the troubleshooting guide I use with ET to find the cause of this issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Gc4s_tr2LzcFl5djhoR1UzWkU/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-tY1ntf_GhxJ_9092iztrAg

I have a very good description from JustAnswer on how to test all the wiring but want to make sure I have the aux hyd turned on before I start looking for voltage.Thanks.

The auxiliary rocker switch is always on when the key is on. It sends a signal to the ECM and the ECM sends power to the auxiliary solenoids to modulate the application.

These solenoids are not ON/OFF designed and continuous voltage can cause them to fail. The ECM sends out a PWM voltage to limit the current and extend the life of the solenoids.

OK. I'll test the wiring. This machine was previously used ONLY as a loader ie never used aux hyd so solenoids may be seized after 15 yrs with no use?Thanks again.
Stewart

I doubt the solenoids are the issue. I have never replaced any unless they were damaged by corrosion.

If the ECM was under mud or wet, that can cause the failure of the ECM. It is common to find a short on the joystick wiring that can prevent the controls from operating.

Glad I could help.

Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician