Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Cat 277 with a hydraulic leak. I know the location…

I have a Cat 277...
I have a Cat 277 b with a hydraulic leak. I know the location of the leak on the hose (it was a wear point against the corner of a piece of frame metal) and can see the hose and leak point on the diesel fuel cap side of the machine at the very front of the engine bay. I am looking for a point list of items in order that need to be removed to get access to each end of the hose so that it can be removed and repaired/replaced. So that I use my time efficiently. Thank you. Currently thinking of lifting/tiltin cab for access. I have picture
11/22/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

CAT does not have much for detailed service procedures for changing hoses. It's more of a figure-it-out-yourself deal.

I will be glad to help as much as I can and maybe provide some parts images if you think that will help?

Do you have the part number of the hose you are replacing?

Please include the complete machine serial number (PIN) with your reply so I can find the correct parts images.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for responding. I appreciate it. I have found some parts images but not sure it will help. Think I will go with a cab raise/Tilt to start with.Serial is cat0277btmdh02005with cab tilt i think i will get a view of hose ends, but not sure, hydraulic fluid tank will still be there.

Thanks for the serial number. No hydraulic components are attached to the cab.

All parts are on the frame assembly. Have you tried uploading any pictures yet? I don't see any on this post.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If u know steps in machine part removal (cab tilt or rad removal) that is required to get access to end points on this line i will call you. Otherwise i am guessing

Yes, the cab must be raised to access anything hydraulic for the pumps or valves. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply repairs could be done without raising the cab.

I am guessing you have not raised the cab before?

Does that line leak a lot of oil with the engine running or just when you move a lever?

Follow these steps to raise the cab. Reference the images below for locations of the bolts and safety lever.

Tilting the Cab Upward
Park the machine on level ground.
Note: Empty the water tank (if equipped) before you tilt the cab.

Lower the loader arms fully. If you tilt the cab upward with the loader lift arms in the RAISED position, you must engage the brace for the loader lift arms. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Loader Lift Arm Brace Operation" for the process for engaging the brace for the loader lift arms.
Turn the engine start switch key to the OFF position.
Place supports under the rear of the machine in order to support the machine while the cab is tilted.
Remove the two front bolts for the ROPS.
Close the cab door and ensure that the door is latched.
Tilt the cab upward. Stand on the ground when you tilt the cab.
Note: More than one person may be needed to tilt the cab.
The cab support lever is in the ENGAGED position.
Make sure that the cab support lever is in the ENGAGED position.
Tilting the Cab Downward
Ensure that all persons are not under the cab. Remove all of the tools and unsecured items that are underneath the cab.
Tilt the cab upward. Move the cab support lever to the DISENGAGED position.
Tilt the cab downward and install the bolts for the ROPS. Torque the bolts to 125 ± 20 N·m (92 ± 15 lb ft).
Remove the supports from the rear of the machine.

I cannot locate that line. Can you find where either end goes?

Will you be working on this machine soon?

This is another section CAT does not offer instructions for repairs.

I hope the images I sent are helpful. If you do need anything else, just let me know.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think leak is most aggressive with haudraulics engaged. I only had someone else in seat briefly to verify hinch of what hose/wear point was causing the leak and it was a loader lift function driver did and it streamed out bad so i had machine shut downHunch

Since the lines are inside the loader supports and to the inside of the compartment, I still think it is the oil cooler lines. Raising the radiator should help you see the lines and identify if one or both hoses are damaged.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since the line seems to stay in engine bay I do think you might be right in that it is an oil cooler line. Interestingly it is a single line though, not paired with another. I am hoping to get at this machine in the next day or two. Have had to prioritize other job site work so far this week.I am not going to close this thread until I get into repairs. Just in case the line is not what is expected (cooler line).

Thanks for the update.

Please keep me posted or the question will go dead.

Note: Questions are only open for a few days. They will time out if no postings are seen and it becomes harder to contact each other.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok sounds good. Fyi you helped me with the last challenge i had on this machine a few years ago. Thanks again
Thanks! I am glad I can help you again. 

Don

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I spent 1.5 hrs on it today and got some stuff figured out. I traced the line and one end goes to the bottom of the fan, the fan motor I believe. The other end looks to go on the right side under the cab (i lifted cab and looks to be some conglomerate of hoses beside pump. I need to pressure wash to see it properly but that is what I am guessing at this point. Do you have a line diagram of the fan motor hydraulic line?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was able to take the end of hose off attached to what I think was fan motor. I am going to pressure wash the other end under cab tmrw and see what i find
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
right on, yes fan motor end looks accurate from what I saw/ disconnected. Also accurate is the hose clips that secure it (#7 in your diagram). So at the other end by the #4, that is called the pump or?Is there an access door/ plate at underside of machine that I would remove to access this?

When you look under the cab and the loader control valve is to the left, the fan and implement pump is the first section of the pump group you will see. The hose will be connected to the first section. The picture below is different due to extra options not installed on your machine but your hose will connect at the same point. (just not with a Tee fitting)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok that is great to know. Thank you. you saved me time wiggling end of hose trying to see where it goes tmrw

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If i could i would like to leave this thread open until tmrw when the line is completely removed.

The links should stay open a few days from the last post.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you see the support that hose is threaded to underneath this hydraulic distribution box style thing? Hose has blue tuck tape on end. I am trying to take support bracket off to remove hose as threaded end wont fit through. I got one bolt but cant find others theough grease/grime underneath. Do you have a diagram of bolts for that support bracket?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think it is also. I got the one vertical bolt but not the horizontal one. Your diagram helps me find that. Thank u. Hopefully hose os free tmrw

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, it is so late. Been a long day and just got back home.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All good. That bolt #4 would be on the outside of machine body in middle of tracks then?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was able to get the hose back on end of week. Got some hydraulic fluid in in on saturday and gave it a test drive. All seems good. Thank you for the help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When washing engine bay after a hydraulic leak like this one is there anything I should be super careful of? Like besides the obvious of not cutting through a hose causing damage with a high pressure washer
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you have it fixed. 

Yes, when washing the machine use simple degreasers with a pressure washer. Hot water is helpful but, a pre-soak of the degreaser will go a long way too. Remove any large debris you can reach first so your drain holes will work. Then wash away!

Avoid getting too close to hoses and wiring as you mentioned. Also, avoid pressure washing directly on the connectors. They are sealed but, the wires shrink over time and they will not seal as well as they should.

Never wash a hot engine or hot fuel system parts, the cold can cause internal damage.