Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a s65 Genie lift that is stalling. I need the

Customer Question
assistance of someone that is...
I have a s65 Genie lift that is stalling. I need the assistance of someone that is familiar with and has worked on a genie lift. I appreciate good mechanics and have interacted with one here on JustAnswers but really need the expertise. If you have this experience and can help that you would great if you don't than thank you.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/18/2021
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 8 months ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, can you offer any more detailed information on what you mean by stalling? Any and all information you can offer will help a technician determine what's causing your problem.

I have a 1999 S65 Genie lift with the Diesel engine (duetz). It only has 3000 hours an is in great shape. Was using it last week and all of a sudden it started stalling when I would engage the hydraulics. It only would happen after about 15 min of operation. The cut off is clean, no sputters, change in engine sound or throttle level it just shuts off. I am able to restart it easily but it stalls again as soon as I engage the hydraulics. Checked fuel + fuel filter - no issue there. If I leave the engine in low idle everything works and no stall - just on high idle. If let the machine set for while and come back it works like normal again.

Hmm, this is a tricky one, might take us a while to noodle it out. Do you have the serial number for the machine so I can look up the schematics?

File attached (ZM4PTSG)
its a ES-65D Serial Number is ***** Deutz F4M 1011F engine

Like I said, this is a tricky one, might take a while for us to sort it out so be patient. I've been working on aerial lifts since back in the 80's, plenty with the 1011 and 2011 engine, and I haven't seen one do what you're describing so this is a new one on me. One thing can do fairly easily to narrow it down to either a hydraulic problem or an electric problem is remove the fuel shut down solenoid, at least that's what I would do if I were there. With that solenoid disabled that engine is going to run, no electrical control of it. Are you mechanically adept enough to attempt this?

Happy to be patient my friend. I just appreciate the help. I believe the fuel solenoid is the one in the front but I’ll confirm that. And I should have no problem doing those kinds of things. I just need the guidance.

This website does weird things. From the time I made my post up until midnight I checked for a reply back from you, nothing. Logged in this morning and saw you replied at 8:26 pm, weird. The thing that has me puzzled is "all of a sudden it started stalling when I would engage the hydraulics". I can't see anything on the hydraulic diagrams that would cause such a load that would stall the engine to the point of killing it. Not saying it can't happen, just can't see what. I'm thinking it more a problem with the engine, we just have to determine if it's a fuel deliver fault or an electrical (control) fault. Disabling the fuel shut down solenoid will help determine that. It's actually not a hard thing to do, requires removal and modification of the solenoid. For reference I refer to the flywheel end of the engine as rear of engine and fan belt end as front of the engine. The fuel solenoid is located on the front of the engine, just forward of the oil fill port. If your engine has that round air shroud for the cooling fan inlet you'll have to remove that shroud as it covers the fuel solenoid. The solenoid is held in place by two machine screws. Disconnect the harness connection to the solenoid, remove the two machine screws mounting the solenoid. Before removing it, just below the oil fill port you should find a lever with no linkage hooked to it and STOP casted on the engine case, that's the manual shut down lever. Move the lever to the shut down position and hold it there, grasp the fuel solenoid and pull it forward and free. It won't pull all the way straight out as it has a hook lever pointing downward. Once pulled free, roll the solenoid downward to "unhook" the hook lever. Release the manual shut down lever. Once you have the solenoid removed, remove the spring from the solenoid, then slip the straight lever off of the shaft it pivots on, hold onto the spring and lever, don't lose them. Now we have to block the open hole in the engine or it will sling oil out of the hole. To do so re-install the disabled solenoid in reverse order as removed. The engine is now always in run position as soon as the starter is engaged, no electrical control of the engine. To shut it down simply move the manual shut down lever to kill it. Now you can run it and see how it runs out. If it continues to stall you likely have a fuel delivery problem. If it runs with no faults, then you have an electrical control fault that is killing the engine during operation. And the disabled solenoid, you can also use this trick to run the machine if the solenoid ever goes poof, which they do, until you obtain a new solenoid.