Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have 690 ELC Excavator, some times the Arm goes out of…

I have 690 ELC...

I have 690 ELC Excavator, some times the Arm goes out of control.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1996 JD 690 ELC Excavator Serial # 553800

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not myself,

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Agriculture Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No, if you help me I can do it myself.

11/10/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. I am not available for phone calls. If the site flags for a call, you can either disregard it or your call request will be posted for other professionals who may be logged into the site at the time to accept your request offer if they choose to do so.Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine. The symptoms you describe lean strongly towards a problem within the control valve spools or the relief valve cartridges within the arm valve bank. I would also check for any bypass of oil beyond the cylinder seals in the cylinder by pressure testing both sides or putting the bucket on the ground with some slight pressure and then gently walking the machine forward and back without dragging the bucket just enough to see if there is movement at the cylinder rod that may indicate an internal problem with the cylinder aside from a pressure test. If all  this checks out okay, you will want to make an adapter for the hydraulic tank so you can pull a vacuum at the top of the tank with the hydraulic tank fill so you can work on the control  valve without having to drain the whole hydraulic tank if there is a vacuum pulled at the top of the tank with a vacuum pump. You will still need to put a drip pan underneath the area of the control valve under the machine to catch any oil that is dripping. The vacuum will have to remain the entire time you are working on the valve or you can just drain the hydraulic tank into clean 55 gallon drums for reuse. Remove the relief valve cartridges in the arm section of the control valve for inspection of damaged O-rings or any trash or debris within the relief valve cartridges. Check the same for the control valve spool and the end caps. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Dan, Technician