Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Caterpillar D5k XL (WWW01117) Seems to run fine but has the…

Caterpillar D5k XL (WWW01117) ...

Caterpillar D5k XL (WWW01117)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Seems to run fine but has the red flashing warning light.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Codes are 039-E568-2 and 039-E179-2and 36-E361-2 and 036-E360-1 and 036-E360-2 and 036-E360-3 and(###) ###-####08 and(###) ###-####03 and 039-590-09 and(###) ###-####02 and A039-2113-03. I don't see anything that needs fixing other than th ered flashing service light. It runs fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Just curious what the codes mean and if it is something that needs immediate attention as the flashing light suggest.

11/9/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 9 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Please give me a few minutes to check these codes and I will post back their meanings.

039-E568-2 Unexpected Left Motor Forward Speed Detected

This event indicates that the direction (indicated at left) of the track (indicated at left) has moved faster or slower than expected.

039-E179-2  Alternator Not Charging

Inspect charging system for loose or missing alternator belt, loose/corroded alternator or battery cables, damaged alternator or failed batteries.

036-E361-2  E361 High Engine Coolant Temperature (level 2 above 237f)

036-E360-1. E360 Low Engine Oil Pressure (level 1) warning will be cancelled if the oil pressure rises 21 kPa (3 psi) above the set point for 20 seconds.

036-E360-2 Same as above but level 2 -derate will be cancelled if the oil pressure rises 21 kPa (3 psi) above the set point for 20 seconds.

036-E360-3 Same as above but level 3  - oil pressure is out of range for more than 4 seconds and above idle.

(###) ###-####08  "Right Drive Motor Speed Sensor #2"   Abnormal frequency, pulse width or period(###) ###-####03.  Operator In Seat Switch  Voltage above normal (open circuit)

039-590-09     Engine Control Module Abnormal update 

(###) ###-####02  CID 1834 FMI 02

Conditions Which Generate This Code:

The Electronic Control Module (ECM) detects the following condition:

The signal from the keyswitch was erratic because the keyswitch was cycled at least three times within the last second.

Note: This code can be generated by rapidly cycling the keyswitch. Some control modules on the application may require this action in order to prompt flash codes. If this occurs, clear the logged diagnostic codes in order to prevent future confusion or an incorrect diagnosis.

System Response:

The ECM will log the diagnostic code and a warning will appear on the display on the control panel while this diagnostic code is active. The ECM will stop energizing the injector solenoids and the engine will shut down.

Possible Performance Effect:

The engine will shut down.

A039-2113-03 Same as above 2113-03 [ the letter A is showing this is an ACTIVE code, meaning it is a current fault]

Since the seat switch code is the active code, look behind the seat for damaged wires first. Then maybe a new switch will be needed of no damage is found.

can I reset the codes? The batteries are always charged, but I replaced them about a year ago..maybe an old code. I will check the seat also, as it always seems to have the operator in the seat light on.

Sorry, but no, CAT reserves that control to the service tool CAT ET which is the tool the dealers use to troubleshoot the electronics. Most of the EVENT codes (begin with E) are locked into the memory and require a factory password ***** be removed.

I guess the only active code is the drivers seat with an open circuit and all the others are old and possibly resolved? I bought the tractor about 3 years ago and this is the first time that I checked codes as everything was working fine.

Yes, they are just LOGGED codes and are not currently active or causing problems.

Some may disappear after 100 hours of use and no repeat of the same code. (This varies on the software and type of ECM)

Otherwise, the dealer will be required to connect to the machine to remove them.

It is better to leave them to help show a trend for any issue a technician may need to troubleshoot. When viewed with the CAT ET tool, the horse of the first and last occurrence will be shown and the number of times it has repeated, up to 258 times.

I download these files and save them in a Product Status Report in ET and then I will clear all the old codes out. That way I still have a record of previous issues should a problem return.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Thank You sir. I took pictures of everything for future maintenance. Have a great evening.

You're welcome!