Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a D7R dozer that had the engine replaced. Now the…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a D7R dozer that had the engine replaced. Now the dozer will not move forward or reverse, but it turns left and right. The drive shaft will move when turning other then that it doesn’t think about moving

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Give me one second and I’ll pull it up

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

The ECM on the engine was replaced with the old engine I have tried to recalibrate the transmission clutch solenoids, but I have a diagnostic code of 672-2 so CAT ET won’t let me

11/7/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Are you sure all the torque divider parts were installed with the flywheel?

If the plate with the sun gear or the plantery set was left out, the torque convertor will not spin.

The 672-2 code is just a speed sensor fault. It will not prevent the tractor from engaging the clutches.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not positive my coworker reassembled everything before he moved. But the drive shaft spins when turning wouldn't that me the torque converter is spinning?I know the 672-2 code has nothing to do with the trans clutches but when the ECM was replaced TM said you have to recalibrate the solenoids but cat ET won't let me do it with an active code

I am not sure what you mean by turning.

When the engine is running, it should increase in speed with the engine.

If you mean steering the machine, The drive shaft will move with the transmission because the axles are turning. ( I assume this has different steering?)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when turning the transmission spins the drive shaft not the torque converter?

Correct. If you are in nuetral, the driveshaft may only turn slow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean steering

Does the driveshaft spin fast when the transmission is in neutral and the engine speed is at full throttle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The drive shaft won't spin at all unless steering left or right.

So, with the engine off, the driveshaft will not spin by hand?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It spins by hand stillAt full throttle is when the 672-2 code comes on

Just to be clear, when the tractor is started, and the transmission is in neutral, the driveshaft does not spin?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No not by itself. But I've tried spinning it by hand with the machine off and it spins

Then the code is likely created by steering the tractor and the clutches are not engaged.

Did you take a pressure reading on the filter ports?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't been able too my platoon doesn't have the gages

Have you tried removing a port plug and cranking the engine (FUEL OFF)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I have not what do you mean by port plug?

On top of the filter housing, (older tractors anyway) it has two plugs that have test ports to install (or has installed) for checking the filter pressure or collecting oil samples.

The filter is pressurized so, if you only crank the engine over, it should force a strong flow of oil from the port (plug hole).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so I should be able to remove the port and get a strong flow of oil when cranking if my pressure is good. What should I check if I have bad pressure?Other then the filter?

Well, first look to see if the pump driveshaft was installed and is turning when the engine is running. This drive shaft is to the right side of the machine and connects from the flywheel drive coupling to the pump drive coupling.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've checked to see if it's turning already and it itis

did you locate the machine serial number (PIN)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not at work rn but pulling it up on the TM

Was the engine repair a rebuild or a new engine swap?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
New engine swap

Do you still have the old engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No that gets turned in

Did the flywheel get swapped or was it on the new engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe they used the old fly wheelI think the pin is 086458

I believe this is either one of two problems.

You may not have any pump pressure due to a failed pump.

Or, the sun gear was not installed in the flywheel and the converter is not being driven.

I have forgotten the sun gear more than once myself, it is easy to do as many other machines do not have a torque divider.

That number is ***** a cat number.

it will be eight digits and letters (ex. 3DN00789 )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you for your help!

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician