Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Volvo skid steer. It was bogging down, changed the…

I have a Volvo skid...
I have a Volvo skid steer. It was bogging down, changed the fuel filter because it was old, now it won’t start. Any ideas
10/29/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. I am not available for phone calls. If the site flags for a call, you can either disregard it or your call request will be posted for other professionals who may be logged into the site at the time to accept your request offer if they choose to do so. Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine. Empty your old fuel filter into a clear container to look for contamination of fuel but also check for any fuel leaks or restrictions between the fuel tank and your fuel pump. Any time you replace your fuel filter you need to bleed any remaining air out of the fuel lines to make sure you have solid fuel supply to the injection pump. Depending on the model of your skid steer, some have a primer pump that you can use a hand primer to fill your fuel filter while loosening a bleeder screw on the top of the filter housing. You would pump the primer pump until you get straight fuel out of the bleeder screw. You would then tighten the screw and pump the primary purpose of it until you feel some resistance, then attempt to start the engine. Repeat as necessary.Be sure to check all fuses and relays as well and your safety interlock switches and wiring for any problems. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Mc90, does this have a primer bulb? I don’t see one

Yes it is. Follow the fuel lines from the tank. See if there is one on the side of the engine with a hand lever.

You might have an electric pump to prime the system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I take off cap and try to start?

Slightly loosen it. Do not remove it.

If the filter is straight fuel and no air, you could have another problem. Check to see if there is any traces of smoke coming from the exhaust indicating that fuel is getting into the cylinders from the injection pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will it start with the screw loose?

No, but it might sputter and try.

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is smoke coming out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it working. Thanks

Thank you for the update and I am glad to hear that you got this resolved.