Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have 740 throwing a 2742-6 code, 2L700338 cat 730-2, yes and…

Customer Question
Have 740 throwing a...

Have 740 throwing a 2742-6 code

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2L700338 cat 730-2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and swapped solinoides checked fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Made sure there was no broken wires ect

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
10/26/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Have you tried leaving the connector disconnected to see if the code becomes a -5 for an open circuit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah it does do thatDo you want me to ring you?

Did you take an ohm reading of the old coil and the new coil?

Sorry, I am not setup for phone calls.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven’t put a new coil on I just switched one and another to see if the code moved but it doesn’tAll good it just came up haha I can’t reply to texts

Its automatic and I can't get the admin to turn it off.

Your posts are coming in fine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay sweet as haha

Have you had this problem listed below?

PROBLEM

The existing Parking Brake Solenoid Valve (424-2272 Solenoid Valve) and Brake Accumulator Charge Solenoid valve (424-2272 Solenoid Valve) can fail on certain 725C 2, 730, 730 EJ, 730C 2, 730C 2 EJ, 735, 740 EJ, 740GC AND 745 Articulated Trucks. If the existing Parking Brake Solenoid Valve and Brake Accumulator Charge Solenoid valve fails it can lead to the Parking Brake not releasing or low charge pressure on the Brake Accumulator Charge Valve.

It does not say it causes this code though.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
both those can fail because I swapped those to coils over and it seems to be only throwing the 2742-6 code the park brakes working fine and it throws the code randomly

Here is the resistance the ECM is expecting for the circuit +/- 1 ohm.

Resistance at 20 °C (68 °F) is 41.74 ± 4.20 ohms.

It seems that the code did not move, the wiring for that circuit must have a poor connection somewhere.

Have you checked the resistance on the circuit from the ECM?

The blue wire marked C881 is connected to the ECM on the J2 connector at pin 3.

The white wire is next to it at pin 4 and marked G859.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah and tou want resistance on the C881 wire

You can test it with nothing connected to see if it is shorted to the frame. and then install a jumper wire at the solenoid to test the total reistance of both wires. Nomally, it should be less than 2 ohms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The coil is extremely hot aye

You should be testing with the key off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah I am but I was just doing ET tests ect and it got hot over that time

ok, just didn't want you to create more codes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah nah I’ve been watching what codes are getting made okay so jump across at the white and blue wire at the plug of the solinoide

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says 045.6 ohms

Are you sure you are on the correct connector? Verify the wire colors and numbers if possible.

That reading would be good if the solenoid is still connected.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah I’m on the right wires and have the solenoid connected

Disconnected it and check the blue wire for a short to ground.

White wire is shared with other solenoids.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No shorts to earth from the blue wire

Connect the J2 to the ECM and the solenoid then Check If The Diagnostic Code Remains
A. Turn the key start switch and the disconnect switch ON.
B. Clear all diagnostic codes.
C. Operate the machine.
D. Stop the machine and engage the safety lock lever.
E. Check if diagnostic code for the solenoid is active.

If all is OK - The diagnostic code does not exist at this time. The initial diagnostic code may have been caused by poor electrical connection or short at one of the harness connections. Resume machine operation.

If all is NOT OK - The diagnostic trouble code has not been corrected. If the diagnostic code has not been corrected after performing the procedure a second time, the ECM may require replacement.
Prior to replacing the ECM, contact the Technical Communication at your dealership for possible consultation with Caterpillar. This consultation may greatly reduce repair time.

I have searched through old record that I can access but, I do not find anything else for this code. Your dealer may need to contact CAT to see if they know of any other issues before you have the ECM replaced.