Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 225 excavator. recently had both hydraulic

I have a cat...

I have a cat 225 excavator. recently had both hydraulic pumps rebuld and changed all fluid with new filters. machine worked fine for a few hours after reassembly but now has been idle for a few weeks. today the stick and bucket are slow to function. fluid levels are good and i just bleed the pilot controls for those functions. any other ideas?

10/11/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine. Unfortunately, after a pump or component failure, the complete system needs to be cleaned out and all of the components inspected for metal contamination from that failure. This requires disconnecting hydraulic hoses to your control valves and all hydraulic components to inspect the ports for anything that looks like fine metal or glitter that would confirm contamination within the component. That component then needs to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned, inspected for damage, and resealed. Simply changing the oil alone is not enough after a failure. If any of this contamination throughout the system is left behind when a new pump or component is installed, it is just a matter of time before that cross-contamination gets back into the new pump or component and further creates damage with your existing components elsewhere throughout the system. Remove your existing hydraulic filter and cut it open with a filter cutting tool for inspection. Look for what looks like fine metal or glitter. If found, it is confirmation that the system is still heavily contaminated and that there is a possibility of premature failure of your brand-new pump and other components. Check your control valve spools and your relief valve cartridges in your main control valve for contamination and damaged O-rings or other problems that would cause them to malfunction.Let's hope that you find some contamination in the valve only that might be causing a relief valve to stick open or something of that sort rather than a premature failure of your replacement component. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dan, not sure if I reply here or ask new question. I'm taking control valves off to inspect. hoses clean but cannot get a couple of then to stop draining fluud....took cap off tank. any other suggestions?