Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 312 E L and when the hydraulic warm up the boom…

I have a cat 312...
I have a cat 312 E L and when the hydraulic warm up the boom cylinder drifts down quite bad and seem to loose some hydraulic power. What can I look for
9/30/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine. Check inside your old hydraulic filters for what looks like fine metal or glitter that would indicate a pump or component failure existing on this machine. If all this checks out okay, you will want to have your pump pressures and flows tested on this machine to confirm they are within factory specifications. This includes your pressures for each individual hydraulic function. If the problem is only isolated to the boom circuit, I suspect that the problem is likely within the main control valve and control valve spool section for your boom circuit. Inspect inside the control valve and all your relief valve cartridges within the boom section for any trash or debris as well as any damage that would cause a bypass of pressure within the valve. Check for any valves within the boom cylinders and your control valve as well that could possibly be having an effect on the symptoms for your model and serial number machine. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it normal for the hydraulic lines to get so hot that I feels like it will burn you

The hydraulic system can get warm but usually not extremely hot. If the hydraulic temperature is overheating you may want to get a digital temperature reader to take temperatures on different components or sections of the wiring to look for restrictions or possible components that might be failing generating heat.

Dan, Technician