Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Bobcat 863 popping sound when turning right sounds like it…

Customer Question
Bobcat 863 popping sound...

Bobcat 863 popping sound when turning right sounds like it struggles too turn and all of a sudden something pops again and it turns correctly without any problems

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Bobcat 863###-##-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Parking solenoid

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/29/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine. Check your chain case oil and for excessive looseness within the drive chain that could be slapping the chain case causing your noise. I also recommend checking your drive axles for any signs of excessive wear or leakage as well. Look inside your hydraulic filter and oil for what looks like fine metal or glitter that would flag internal mechanical problems or component failure existing on this machine. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is some looseness on the left chain how would that be deal with ?

Check if it's loose within the links and possibly a worn sprocket. If not, it may just be an adjustment to tighten the chain tension tension.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where do you tighten it from ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also just noticed the left stick stops before the right one when pushed forward

I do not have the shop manual on hand for all these adjustments but these adjustments are covered in the shop manual. You can usually find PDF versions of these manuals online pretty commonly. Sometimes for under $30 and other times you may get lucky and find a free one somewhere, or used paperback copy on sites like eBay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked everything and it all seems fine

I understand. Seems and is fine are two different things. It might be time to either invest in the shop manual to go through and check all your adjustments, service any of those components in order to look for any traces of metal or other trash and debris that would confirm internal mechanical problems or component problems existing, or having a bobcat technician come out to check on that noise for you. Another thing you can do is get a mechanic's stethoscope in order to narrow down exactly where that noise is coming from.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One of the parking brake discs wiggled around a lot that might be the source of the problem

That sounds pretty logical as a likely candidate for the noise.