Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 2007 257b serial number oslk07900. The parking…

I have a cat...

I have a cat 2007 257b serial number oslk07900 . The parking light stays flashing. I have gone through the ecm and checked the resistance on the parking brake solenoid and the parking switch and the pilot solenoid . I have checked the circuits for a short and I believe there is short somewhere

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat0257bvslk07900

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

We have replaced seat switch also. The machine cranks up and the arm lifts up and down but it does not move forward backward etc. also there was a sec where the machine did let me move forward for a few feet but then it Went back into parking light flashing mode

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/27/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly.  I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

---

Have you checked the parking brake switch for a short to ground?

Disconnect the wire harness from the ECM.

Measure the resistance from contact 42 to contact 3 (wire F780-PK to wire 201-BK) on the wire harness connector.

The resistance should be greater than 3000 Ohms.

What reading did you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning, thank you for the help. I had already left work when I got this message. I have not tried those contacts yet . I will be on site in a few hours .
I had tried many shorts and 3 of the contacts had 0 to 19 ohms .I will text back when I try the circuit from contact 42-3.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just checked the parking brake switch for a short to ground . Contact 42- 3 is over 5000 ohmsI am ready for the next suggestion

Thanks for the update. I was assuming you had the troubleshooting guide and was following it step by step. Is this how you are troubleshooting or do you need the guide for the problem?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a troubleshooting guide. But I've checked everything on it and it's still has the same issue. We're troubleshooting guide do you have.Where does contact pin number 62 go? It's an orange wire that has no resistance

307 orange wire is the key switch input to the ECM

sorry for the delay, had to run an errand for the misses

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank you. I still believe there is a short somewhere.

Are you following the Parking Brake Indicator Is Flashing troubleshooting steps?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I Have gone through them from our local cat mechanic

Do you have the results of each step you followed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me get the paperwork

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The trouble shooting steps are from "parking brake indicator is flashing " (RENR6417)
Test step 1 . check for a flashing parking brake indicator before the system is enabled
Results - Ok. The parking brake indicator is on .
Proceed to step 4
Test step 4. Check for a flashing parking brake indicator after the system is enabled
Results - not ok - the parking brake is flashing . Proceed to step 5
Test step 5 . Check the circuit of the hydrostatic pilot valve
Disconnect the ecm and measure resistance between contact 29 and contact 68 .
Results -resistance should be Aprox 11 ohms .
Results - The resistance read 10 ohms
Ok- proceed to step 7
Test step 7. Check the circuit of the hydrostatic pilot solenoid for a short to ground.
Measure the resistance from 3 - 24 . The resistance should be greater than 5000 ohms .
Ok- the resistance was greater than 5000ohms
I went ahead and checked test step 6.
Check the hydrostatic pilot valve
Measure the resistance of the coil of the hydrostatic pilot valve
The resistance should be approximately 10.5 ohms
Result - The resistance was 10.2 ohms

Great job on the testing. Have you tried another interlock ECM? Or installed your ECM in another machine to see if it will work in a known good machine? (this is the preferred method)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope. I don't have another machine with a similar ecm . I was hoping it wasn't the ecm which I heard was about 3000$Is the ecm the last part to check ?

Yes, the guide is usually correct. I often repeat the testing and like you check a few other items to verify the results. Once you are down to the ECM and nothing else is out of spec, then it must be replaced. That price is about right for the dealers, REMAN is right at $3000 and brand new is just over $4000.

With prices like that, it may be time for someone to create a business to refurbish them. I have seen some exotic car ECM being repaired but, they were over $5000 with repairs around $2000.

I see place listed on Google but, I have never tried them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

You're welcome!

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician