Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I need the torque spec for the piston on the hydraulic Ram…

Customer Question
I need the torque spec...
I need the torque spec for the piston nut on the hydraulic Ram for the stick cylinder of a 2015 John Deere 210G excavator
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/24/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule.Thank you for asking your question. I am a prior John Deere dealer technician. I want to inform you that unless you have a hydraulic wrench on a cylinder rebuild bench, you will never get that nut tight enough And it will likely loosen up on you when running the machine. When I left the dealer And any time I had a Cylinder that size, I would take that assembly down to the cylinder repair shop in order to have them remove the nut, install the seals and re-torque everything for me. We had a chart on the wall at the dealer. Some cylinders were torqued by pressure and watching a pressure gauge according to the hydraulic wrench. I understand you would like to do the job start to finish but on these larger excavator cylinders and wheel loader cylinders,I do recommend farming that part out in order to prevent the nut from loosening up on you down the road. I have seen it many times and when a cylinder comes apart, it will send metal back into the control valve spool and destroy the valve spool. I hope you find this information helpful. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are on an island with no mechanics in our town and it cost too much time and money to send the cylinder out to a professional so we are trying to do it ourselves. We got it torqued to 600ftlbs right now wondering if we need to go more