Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I hoped you could help me on my cat 279C. We lost all

Customer Question
Hello Dan, I hoped you could...
Hello Dan,
I hoped you could help me on my cat 279C. We lost all hydraulics and our crew on another island took it in to Caterpillar for diagnostics. The technician said there was 0 psi on the system and recommended the Hub Coupling (263-4996) replacement between the hydrostatic and the engine. The estimate is showing 22 hour labor for this job. I can see taking the hydrostatic pump off is a bit of a job but 22 hours seemed excessive. do you have any information regarding this procedure? My service book only covers the D series and I do not see the hub coupling.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I uploaded Screenshot with the service estimate with the Machine information but here is the serial number MBT00378. Caterpillar 279C
9/22/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine.I do not have access to a time guide for this machine unfortunately but they will need to drain the hydraulic system in order to disconnect all the pump components and hoses for hydraulic pump removal to access the drive coupling. It sounds like they've added enough time and buffer pressure wash the area prior to work prevent contamination of any of the components while opening up the hydraulic system during the work. They likely also padded the time for unforeseen extras such as any of the seals or O-rings for reassembly. This failure will cause the hydraulics pumps not to turn at engine RPM.Be sure to check all safety interlock switches and wiring for proper operation in case you may have a safety interlock switch problem causing the functions to be locked out.I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.