Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1965 Ford 4000 tractor I just purchased it when…

I have a 1965 Ford...
I have a 1965 Ford 4000 tractor I just purchased it when trying it out pto went in and out ok but went to bush hog today and noticed only way to engage pto is to engage then start tractor
9/7/2021
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi, I'm Wayne.

I'll be assisting you with this issue today.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer

Your Question is as important to us as it is to you.

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue.

I go offline at 3 pm CST.  M-F

Weekend 2 pm CST for the day.

Sorry to say, but what you are describing are the clutches are worn out

and not stopping the main shaft from spinning.

Need to split the tractor and replace the clutches.

I hope this helps you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Clutch on ptoThis tractor has live power separate from transmissionWhen no implements attached pto will engage while engine runs only does it when bush hog pto shaft attached
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I pull pto out of back of tractor

HI,

Yes, you can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That cover plate on left side where arm that engages pto is it where I can access 17a

Are you able to open the diagram I sent?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do I do pull pto out back then take cover assembly off left side of tractor to access 17a

HI,

You still need to split the tractor.

split the tractor, and remove the seat assy to get to it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to rebuild cylinder for lift can I access it by pulling seat cover or does splitting tractor still have to happenTo fix 17a is there any way to do it without splitting tractor

Sorry, yes needs to be split.

Wayne, Journeyman