Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I've got a 1979 d3 runs good until warmed up then starts…

Second Opinion] Hi, I've...

Second Opinion] Hi, I've got a 1979 d3 runs good until warmed up then starts slipping engine revs then eventually won't move at all. Let it sit and come back later then moves again for a bit then does the same

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I don't Have it on me it's on one of 3 phones. I'll get back to you in the am.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I am a retired auto, R/V, Diesel, and equipment mechanic Hydraulic cranes, backhoes & loaders. Not to many tracked vehicles. It's probably got a screen someplace on the trans that's dirty. I started this too late I'm tired, going to bed now I'll be back in the AM.

Answered in 4 days by:
9/9/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you're experiencing these troubles with this machine and I see you have been waiting some time for some advice on this. This machine is in the vintage where dry clutches were used. Some machines were converted to a wet clutch system moving forward. Definitely check the transmission oil condition for any traces of dark and discolored oil as well as any possible traces of metal or friction material that would indicate internal mechanical problems existing within the transmission. If all this is clean, you will definitely want to have the pressures tested in accordance to your machine model and serial number service book to check for possible excessive internal leakage within the transmission or other internal problems. If the transmission is confirmed good, move on to checking for slippage within the steering clutches. You should be able to push a full blade of dirt in soft soil while witnessing the tracks spinning instead of slipping. I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

The Dry Clutch D3 79U series and the D3B 23Y series used composite friction discs, qty (7) 8E4075 (earlier part numbers of 6Y4912 or 6S3183) per clutch and qty (6) steel separator plates (2H6936) per steering clutch. You will almost always have to replace the fiber discs, but the steel plates are usually reusable. If the steel plates are damaged, by scoring, warping, or just plain old wear they should be replaced.

Dan, Technician