Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

How do you adjust front bucket leveler on 420 cat. 420 e…

How do you adjust...

How do you adjust front bucket leveler on 420 cat

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

420 e first serial number g4d03213213 second number dm50141901-419

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes going to fix it myself hopefully I didn't try anything I didn't try anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Construction Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No I just recently put a new cutting edge on i

9/2/2021
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 11 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly.  I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

---

Please describe the problem you are having with your bucket. Two different adjustments may be needed.

Neither of the post numbers is a serial number for the machine. See the image below for the location. It is on the left side just above the lift cylinder mounting point.

Please post the complete serial number (PIN) with your reply.

Thanks, Don

I just got your text I totally understand about serial number unfortunately it's dark out and I'm back home I will send you proper info first a.m. problem is with bucket returning to Dig position I know where adjustment is just not really sure best way or how to do it or maybe I don't even know anything I just want to get proper info and instruction I will send serial number either via text or email tomorrow and also pictures thank you for getting back to me

I will send you the information to adjust the return to dig. If it is not like your machine, then send me the correct serial number and I will try again tomorrow evening.

Okay thank you it's a 420 e caterpillar regular bucket not four-way etc I believe there is a box two smaller I believe 10 mm bolts and then two larger bolts below I believe those are 15 or 16 mm you could see that there's slotted so there's movement I would assume for adjustment I just don't know how to do it and if that is the proper way if that helps thank you

Place the loader bucket flat on the ground.

Loosen the screws (7). Position the wheel on the switch (6) on the ramp of the guide (5) at a point so that the switch will barely contact the ramp. Lightly tighten the screws (7) .

When you are in the cab, use the joystick for the loader in order to lower the bracket assembly. Lower the bracket assembly until the actuation of the return-to-dig switch returns the bucket to a level position. Tighten the screws (7) .

I have also done this with just the key on and the bucket level on the ground by loosening the bolts then latch the lever to the return to dig position and move the switch until the lever kicks back to neutral.

This is shown for a 420E HLS prefix serial number.  (example CAT 420EXHLS01234)

Okay thank you I will look into it tomorrow and get back to you thank you once again for info and getting back have a good night pretty much make sense my brother said that they adjusted it years back with mechanic and sounds pretty similar from what he told me

Yes, it is not too difficult once you get the feel for the switch detent. It may take a few attempts to get it exactly like you want it but, after the first time, you will know which way to move it to set the edge.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help, please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
I definitely will give good rating I just don't have time tonight will do a.m. thank you again

That's fine. Just wanted to have the question ready to close if you didn't need anything else.

Glad I could help, Don

I'm pretty sure you gave me proper answer that's exactly what my brother was describing except you were a lot more detailed he said they had trouble and obviously they didn't have info that you gave me makes perfect sense honestly the bucket as far as I'm concerned with never adjusted properly LOL I'll take care of it tomorrow and definitely give you great reading thanks again and have a great night and have a great holiday weekend
Hey Don it's Chris I just wanted to thank you again and let you know that got returned to dig situation taken care of your info was very helpful

Great! Glad to hear you have it fixed and thanks for the update!