Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 220-5 Komatsu excavator. Cannot find serial number…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 220-5 Komatsu excavator

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cannot find serial number as it’s gone off the machine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

The engine dies down after using the hydraulic, engine is fine at idle with no miss and at high idle, engine runs fine when in high idle and a slight movement on the joystick is applied, only when you pull right back on the joystick the engine loses power and goes to stall. I have replaced fuel filter and cleaned out fuel gauze in the the bottom of the prime pump and checked air filters, just not sure if I’m dealing with an engine fault here or hydraulic, possible relief issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Equipment Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Not sure when the oil was last changed, have ordered a hydraulic filter just to rule out and hydraulic restrictions through the filter

9/1/2021
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. We can follow up as needed on here. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows depending on their daily schedule. Sorry to hear you are experiencing troubles with this machine. Check for any fuel leaks or restrictions between the fuel tank and fuel pump as well as any contamination of fuel after replacing your fuel filters and emptying your existing fuel filters into a clear container. Install a clear hose or site glass in line on the suction side and return side of the fuel system to monitor for aeration of fuel since there should be little to no air bubbles on both. The fuel supply checks out okay, check for any air intake restrictions as well as potential turbocharger related problems. Make sure it spins freely without any drag or damage that would cause a loss of boost pressure. Check for any air intake leaks as well as restrictions. If this all checks good, I would suspect that you may have a hydraulic problem putting an excessive load on the engine or a problem with the controller and software or governor calibration requiring the dealer level software to be connected to check for any fault codes that need to be resolved as well as any software recalibration's or updates.I hope you find this information helpful. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Dan thanks for the reply, I have not had a chance to get back to the machine as of yet, if there was excessive load on the engine through the hydraulic pump where would I best look to find a problem
Thank you

You may want to replace the return filter in the hydraulic tank to see if there is what looks like fine metal or glitter that would absolutely confirm a pump or component failure existing on this machine. If this is clean, you would then want to have your flows and pressures tested confirm whether or not they are within the specifications covered in your machines service book. That is how you would determine a hydraulic problem.

Dan, Technician

You would also have your cycle times checked for your model and serial number machines service book as well to see if those are also within specifications.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Dan, the cycle times do seem to be down, boom and dipper arm movements are very slow, iv just never seen this before, weird that at half joystick movement the engine runs fine but at full movements it wants to stall out, I have got another hydraulic filter which I will change out and go from there, so you have any access to service Manuals that you could share for cycle times and adjustments?
I'm not sure if I do but I could take a look if you could get me the complete model and serial number as it is listed on the ID tag.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok to easy, I havnt been able to get back to the machine but when I do I’ll take some photos and send them over

Any luck on that tag information by chance or any gains on this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi mate I will try and get back out to it this afternoon and see if the ID plate is still on it, I know it has engine plate but that's probably not much help, iv just been busy at work and havnt had a chance, this is a side job I'm looking at, will get back to you asap, thanks for checking in
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Silly question could the wrong viscosity oil cause this problem if it was too thick? It had been serviced a while ago but someone else just wondering if they put the wrong oil in could this happen

This machine should have an equivalent to a 10 weight hydraulic oil or AW 32. AW 46 is the absolute max viscosity that should be in this machine and is used commonly on newer equipment. If someone put the wrong viscosity oil for your temperatures in the climate you are running, it could affect the operation. I do not have any diagrams on this particular model because it's not a US market serial number unfortunately. Any manuals I have are for the US market. This would be considered a graymarket machine for us in the US.